Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
The Vice Chairman for Administration within The Mount Sinai Health System serves as the Lead Administrator for the specific assigned system departments. This role serves at the sole discretion of the System Chairman. This individual is an administrative leader who coordinates all the clinical, research, academic, and strategic initiatives across the system. This individual must demonstrate leadership characteristics, exhibit team building skills, and promote a professional, ethical and trusting environment. The individual must support the Institution and Senior Leadership to carry out their strategic vision, and initiatives. This individual must have a strong track record of success in large, complex organizations with multiple constituencies.
- Understands the current culture and direction of the system departments
- Aids in the development of overall strategic vision of the departments/divisions that are in line with institutional expectations and the System Chairman
- Works with System Chairman to outline a 30, 60, 90, and 180+ day plan to implement strategic vision, as well as long term plans for continued assessment of progress against the plan outline
- Develops relationships with faculty, staff, and leadership teams across the system
- Defines and implements organizational/governance structure across the departments as envisioned by the System Chairman
- Participates on all Institutional Committees and various task forces as assigned by the Institutional Leadership
- Represents the assigned system departments at all Institutional meetings, and meetings with various affiliate organizations (e.g. Queens Hospital Center, Elmhurst Hospital Center, etc.)
- Works closely with other Department Chairman, Senior Leadership, and other Department Administrators to develop new programs and strategic planning
- Defines management team, organizational structure, and key role players for the system and the member departments
- Develops faculty recruitment business plans and offer letters as required by the System Chairman
- Develops retention plans for faculty as necessary
- Assists in the development of innovative faculty compensation structures to help recruit and retain faculty
- Develops and implements key physician monitoring and reports, to track productivity and outcomes
- Develops and maintains a robust faculty database to record key progress data points as outlined by the System Chairman and Senior Leadership
- Evaluates current financial status, comprehensive review of all accounts, and departmental financial activity across network departments
- Develops an understanding of departmental and institutional funds flows
- Actively manages and oversees all departmental financial activity
- Responsible for compiling and managing all aspects related to the departmental budgets
- Implements a mechanism to track and monitor physician profitability, e.g. physician P/L’s
- Responsible for ensuring overall departmental profitability across the network
- Responsible for development of financial and business plans for existing and new programs
- Meets regularly with Department Chairs and Administrator(s) to review financial performance of all divisions, and faculty members
- Develops plans to meet with faculty and staff to provide necessary financial information as required, or as deemed necessary
- Oversees all billing/collections (revenue cycle) performance across the network departments, some of which will be in partnership with the Central Business Office (CBO)
- Develops finance team and structures at a corporate level and at each member institution if required
- Implements standardized financial processes across the member departments as well as detailed financial reports
- Gains understanding of current state operational processes and develops proposed future state recommendations to help standardize across the network hospitals/departments
- Develops operational team structure across the network facilities
- Responsible for all day-to-day operational activities within the Departments across the network
- Ensures all aspects related to staffing, equipment, supplies, and facilities are managed appropriately in all network locations
- Oversees all practice related staff and management on a day-to-day basis
- Works to develop operational improvements and enhancements throughout the network Department locations to allow for more efficient operation, including additional patient volume
- Implements oversight of all clinical activities, as well as ensure adherence of policies and procedures by faculty
- Develops metrics to measure faculty productivity and mechanism to measure on a regular basis
- Aids in the development of new initiatives and programs development/enhancement, physician recruitment, etc.
- Designs and implements staffing models with approval of System Chairman
- Evaluates volume and throughput for all clinical aspects (e.g., Outpatient, Inpatient, as applicable)
- Oversees supply chain aspects related to clinical activities
- Ensures that all clinical activities are compliant and follow the standards set forth by the institution and oversight bodies
- Oversees all day-to-day revenue cycle (billing/collections) operations, including front, middle, and back end. This also includes overseeing outsourced operations, and aspects related to the Central Business Office (CBO)
- Works closely with System Chairman to ensure supply chain is managed effectively.
- Works with the Program Director, and System Chairman to manage education programs within each network hospital
- Ensures RRC, and ACGME compliance for all residency and fellowship programs
- Works with institutional leadership to define educational policies, distribution of trainees, etc.
- Oversees and manages all finances related to the academic program, including negotiating with the institution to provide additional residency and fellowship funding
- Works closely with affiliate institutions to ensure adherence to RRC and ACGME standards
- Works with System Chairman to define research infrastructure, and define current research endeavors (clinical and basic research projects) across the network
- Defines the research management team in conjunction with the Vice Chairman of Research for the assigned departments across the network
- Outlines the research funding including clinical trials and basic research funding
- Responsible for all financial activity as it relates to research activities
- Links the Department’s clinical research with other clinical initiatives in other departments
- Develops a robust research database across the various hospitals/departments in the network
- Aids in the development and oversight of the quality program for the network departments
- Develops understanding of quality metrics currently used, methodology, collection methods for each of the participating network institutions
- Works with MD’s and RN’s to continually refine and improve quality data, and collection methods
- Aids in the development and maintenance of the detailed NSQIP program, and work to implement in conjunction with Hospital Quality
- Establishes customer service committee to monitor and track customer service and quality initiatives within the department
- Develops a robust committee and CQI process for patient satisfaction and quality across the network hospitals/departments
- Reviews current managed care structure and contracts for each of the network departments
- Gathers necessary information to justify higher rates, review current billing data, to ensure proper payment as per current contracts, and re-negotiate as required
- Reviews current philanthropic sources, and how funds are directed within each network department
- Works with System Chairman, Development Office and Senior Leadership to develop a strategy regarding philanthropy
- Works directly with physicians, donors and development office to ascertain additional philanthropic support for each network department
- Maps out all current facilities, service locations, square footage, costs (both direct and indirect), by program, and by usage
- Works with System Chairman to define vision for future facility requirements, including expansion, program growth, etc.
- Develops phased plan to achieve strategic vision for growth, including economic and operational impacts
- Day-to-day oversight of all construction projects and ensure all projects remain JCAHO (or other accredited body) and DOH compliant
- Obtains approval on all phasing, transitions and moves working closely with SoM and Hospital facilities, as well as any outside contractors. Ensure execution of the process
- Understands current all departments’ IT infrastructures including equipment and personnel
- Develops needs assessment for the Departments’ faculty/staff
- Identifies areas of opportunity to use technology to create efficiencies
- Works to implement EMR and reduce paper across the system hospitals/departments
- Assesses intranet and web presence and outline a strategy to enhance and integrate across the departments in system
- Facilitates initiatives to develop automated performance metrics to enhance efficient means to track faculty activity across entities in the network
- Develops collaborative efforts across departments, and various areas to facilitate IT solutions to improve patient flow, and outcome data
- Masters degree or greater, preferably in healthcare administration or a health science
- 7+ years (greater preferred) of progressive health care administrative/leadership
- General Skills and Competencies
- Planning and Organization - Understands performance goals and expectations, establishes priorities and works accordingly, demonstrates good follow-through, adheres to deadlines and updates Chairman regarding work status and potential issues
- Productivity - Works effectively and efficiently, able to multi-task while maintaining expected productivity outcomes. Meets established productivity goals without sacrificing quality
- Organizational Understanding - Knowledgeable about regulations and policies affecting the organization and specific job role. Understands how the position is connected to the larger mission and goals of the organization
- Ownership and Initiative - Is fully engaged and committed to the job. Assumes responsibility for tasks and/or projects without being asked. Seeks to resolve problems and suggests opportunities for improvement. Looks for additional ways to make a contribution/help a colleague
- Impact and Influence - Influences others positively through actions and words resulting in improved work environment, services, processes and/or systems
- Interpersonal Understanding - Understands the needs and feelings of others and uses this understanding to respond appropriately. Set aside personal issues and responds professionally
- Resilience - Standard of work remains consistent even under pressure; demonstrates persistence, motivation and optimism when faced with challenges
- Customer Service Orientation - Understands and meets the needs of external and internal customers. Ensure the customer/patient is at the center of services, systems and processes
- Retention and Talent Development - Takes an active role in retaining high-performing staff. Fosters a spirit of growth and development and supports staff participation in available internal and external educational resources
- Feedback - Communicates expectations to staff and provides regular, constructive and timely feedback throughout the year. Appropriately addresses performance issues. Develops and delivers effective Performance Appraisals
- Teamwork - Creates an environment that encourages staff to work together. Identifies issues affecting staff performance
- Compliance - Familiar with all regulations, policies and procedures affecting departmental and organizational operations and manages the necessary processes to ensure compliance
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.