Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai’s Levy Library is seeking dynamic candidates for its Reference and Instruction Librarian position. Reporting to the Manager of Information and Education Services, this position supports the reference and instruction needs of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai community. The ideal candidate for this role will be a customer-service oriented information professional knowledgeable about biomedical resources and reference management tools.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
• Participate in Levy Library’s Ask-A-Librarian service answering reference questions from students, faculty, physicians, nurses, housestaff and others within the Mount Sinai community. (20%)
• Serve as Levy Library’s reference management expert, assisting users through training sessions and consultations. (20%)
• Hold one-on-one research consultations and lead instructional sessions for academic programs on an as-needed basis (20%)
• Manage Levy Library’s open class offerings, providing instruction to students, faculty and staff on effective use of library resources, citation management tools and a variety of topics pertaining to scholarly publishing. (15%)
• Maintain and enhance LibAnswers knowledgebase, LibGuides content, and digital learning content pertaining to areas of responsibility. (15%)
• Develop and maintain awareness of current trends and best practices in reference and instruction services, within and beyond the medical library community. (10%)
MLS/MLIS from an ALA-accredited program required
• Strong customer service orientation
• Proficient written and spoken communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
• Demonstrated aptitude for teaching
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity and inclusion is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize healthcare delivery together.
We work hard to recruit and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you have the opportunity and support to develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, have an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospitals, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.