Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
The Industrial Hygienist I is devoted to the anticipation, recognition, evaluation, prevention, and control of those environmental factors or stresses arising in or from the workplace which may cause sickness, impaired health and well-being, or significant discomfort among workers or among citizens of the community. The Industrial Hygienist I evaluates workplace environmental factors, as requested by clinic physicians, patients, health and safety representatives or individuals contacting the clinic. Such evaluations may include on-site job evaluations, interviews of patients or individuals, either in person or via the phone.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Conducts industrial hygiene evaluations as requested by physicians, individual patients, union referrals, health and safety representatives, and others and propose recommendations to avoid or decrease exposure to hazards
- Exercises expertise in the area of workplace hazards, and employer/employee responsibilities
- Coordination of the respirator certification program
- Maintenance of ongoing contacts with Unions as necessary in relation to identification and control of hazards
- Teaching responsibilities as part of the residency in occupational medicine and the Masters of Public Health program
- Consulting duties with the Pediatric Environmental Health Specialty Unit
- Conducting research activities
- Performs other related duties
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred in public health or another related health science field or engineering. Experience may substitute for the degree when the experiences are closely related to the duties of the job
- Experience: Three years of experience in Industrial Hygiene or a similar field
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) preferred
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity and inclusion is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize healthcare delivery together.
We work hard to recruit and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you have the opportunity and support to develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, have an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospitals, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.