Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
The Data Science Analyst III is a senior role, collaborating with stakeholders from across the organization to develop sophisticated analytics to provide information, insights and BI (Business Intelligence) solutions that contribute to sound strategic planning, decision-making, goal setting, and effective performance measurement. The Data Science Analyst III demonstrates sound and a more advanced understanding of the healthcare domain, technical data manipulation and analytic development skills and impact the patient community of the Mount Sinai Health System. Serves as mentor to others in the Data Science team and takes the lead role in project initiatives
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Analyzes data requests using information technology, enrollment, claims, pharmacy, clinical, contract, medical management, financial, administrative and other corporate data from both modeled and disparate internal and external sources.
- Works with departmental staff to identify requirements for reporting and / or business intelligence tools; Identifies necessary data, data sources and methodologies; Collects, organizes, integrates, analyzes and interprets data; Leverages advanced statistical analysis methods to create insightful recommendations and conclusions that may be communicated to the stakeholder; Identifies and addresses expected and unforeseen data complexities to mitigate their impact on the analytic outcome and associated business decisions. Works to improve data quality where possible within created analytical models. Feeds data quality issues back to IT or identified data stewards to facilitate creation of high quality metrics; Develops and may present reports, analyses and findings to senior management and others as scheduled or requested
- Responsible for one or more of the following stakeholder groups: Contracting and Commercialization – May assist in the modeling and forecasting contract scenarios, measuring ongoing performance and identify trends in performance to inform our clinical or contracting staff to improve contract outcomes; Care Management – Helps to identify, understand and prioritize at-risk members in need of care management. Helps stratify our membership to optimally use resources to focus on the patients most in need, currently or in the future; Medical Directors – Helps to identify utilization trends and variations across the different categories of health care services to assist the Medical Directors to focus their efforts to maximize contract performance and clinical effectiveness; Quality and Documentation – Helps to link payer quality and documentation opportunities into operational analytic processes to maximize our quality scores, top line revenue and optimize the use of resources in concert with MS Health System contracts; I.T. / High Performance Computing in any ongoing projects
- Takes a proactive role as liaison/analyst for internal stakeholders, understands their needs and translates them into reporting and analytic solutions
- Effectively communicates with stakeholders and customers and ensures all requests are properly triaged, recorded and tracked
- Adheres to corporate standards for performance metrics, data collection, data integrity, query design, and reporting format to ensure high quality, meaningful analytic output
- Helps identify and understand data from internal and external sources for competitive, scenario and performance analyses, and financial modeling to gain member/provider insight into new and existing processes and business opportunities
- Works closely with IT on the ongoing improvement of Mount Sinai’s integrated data warehouse, driven by strategic and business needs, and designed to ensure data and reporting consistency throughout the organization
- Develops and maintains project work plans, including critical tasks, milestones, timelines, interdependencies and contingencies. Tracks and reports progress. Keeps stakeholders apprised of project status and implications for completion
- Provides a high degree of technical support to data analytics functions as they relate to varied business units, and technical expertise on the selection, development and implementation of various reporting and BI tools tied to business unit reporting requirements. Creates new BI reports and interactive dashboards as required
- Prepares clear, well-organized project-specific documentation, including, at a minimum, analytic methods used, key decision points and caveats, with sufficient detail to support comprehension and replication
- Ensures customers are adequately trained to use self-service BI tools and dashboards
- Mentors level I and II Analysts, and teaches others within the organization on how to a) define meaningful process and performance measures, b) develop BI queries, and c) generate and use management reports effectively
- Shares development and process knowledge with other analysts in order to assure redundancy and continuously builds a core of analytical strength within the organization
- Demonstrates advanced level proficiency with the principles and methodologies of process improvement. Applies these in the execution of responsibilities in support of a process focused approach
- Other duties as assigned
- Education: BA or BS degree minimum, in a relevant field of study; Master’s degree preferred
- Experience: 7 years minimum, higher preferred, in analytics development expertise, preferably in health care, or for a health provider, health plan or accountable care organization, including either: Working knowledge of a health care EMR such as Epic/Clarity, aCW, etc.; a payor claims system such as Facets, Amisys, etc.; or a hospital/provider system such as IDX, Soarian, etc.
- Knowledge of the New York State Medicaid and CMS Medicare regulations and related reporting requirements, such as STARS,QARR, MMCOR, MEDS, RAPS and HEDIS is a strong plus
- Experience working in a health plan or consulting actuarial, financial reporting or medical economics departments highly valuable
- Experience as a nurse informaticist highly valuable
- Experience working in healthcare provider analytics related to revenue modeling, managed care contracting, population management, case management, clinical or financial decision report
- PhD, MD or DO program may be substituted for three years of experience
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.