Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
The Patient Coordinator II is a senior level individual, responsible for initiating and establishing first direct contact with patients. Confirms and updates patient demographics and verifies insurance as necessary to ensure that patients have appropriate insurance for physician they are seeing. Takes a lead role among the Patient Coordinators, mentors and trains less experienced staff and assists in the oversight of the front desk and office activity in the absence of the Supervisor.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Reviews upcoming appointments for patient financial responsibility, which includes insurance and benefit verification and provider eligibility. Communicates findings with patient and practice
- Update financial information in appropriate software
- Communicate information pertaining to referrals and/or precerts to patients, external medical offices, and internal staff as per established protocol
- Obtains referral and/or precerts for patients for internal and external appointments and/or orders
- Maintains an active patient database on the number of visits and expiration dates of all referrals
- Communicate information regarding any self-pay responsibilities, collection of deposits, if applicable
- May educate employees about the managed care process. Acts as the resource for staff on managed care issues and responds and resolves problems that arise
- Reviews claims rejected for referral or pre-authorizations by managed care companies
- Assists patients who have inquires relative to the specifics of their plan, who want to change their PCP etc.
- Performs other related duties
- Education: High School graduate/GED
- Basic MS Word (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Knowledge of IDX, Cerner or other practice management system experience preferred
- Experience: 3 years secretarial/directly related experience in a medical practice environment
- General Skills: Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent customer relations skills
- Excellent attention to details and accuracy
- Excellent telephone etiquette
- Knowledge of medical terminology strongly preferred
- Must be able to adapt to a growing and changing work environment
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.