Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Dept Name: Tisch Cancer Institute – Research Oncology
Team REQ #2506808
Job Title: Clinical Research Nurse
Research Nurse is a Registered Professional Nurse who is responsible for
assisting in the assessment, management, and coordination of care for subjects
enrolled onto IRB approved research studies/clinical trials, as specified by
the research protocol, across the continuum of care. Provides safe, competent
quality care based on nursing theory and research to a designated group of
patients/family/community members who have agreed to participate in research
studies/clinical trials. Provides care to patients
with acute and complex conditions, and utilizes appropriate professional
judgment and critical decision making in planning and providing care.
Tisch Cancer Institute is a vital component of the Icahn School of Medicine at
Mount Sinai Hospital and plays a key role in the Mount Sinai Health System,
which is one of the largest health care systems in the nation. We are a National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated
center and provide a multidisciplinary approach to cancer treatments and
clinical breakthroughs that may one day put an end to cancer.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participates in the planning of new protocol implementation
on the patient care unit(s) or practice(s)
- Administers research interventions; collects patient data
according to protocol specifications
- Evaluates the patient’ response to therapy; responds to
variances in protocol implementation; reports variances to the research
- Reports adverse events and serious adverse events in
accordance with the IRB standard of practice, sponsor guidelines, and
- Integrates evidence-based practice into nursing
practice; and evaluates patient outcomes.
- Delivers patient care by incorporating the tenets of the
professional practice model of Relationship Centered Care and through the
application of the nursing process based upon theory, research,
evidence-based practice, and approved organizational nursing standards, in
relation to the requirements of the research protocol.
- Assesses and evaluates patient care needs and applies
critical thinking skills in patient care management.
- Integrates relevant assessment and intervention skills in the
delivery of nursing care.
- Collaborates with the interdisciplinary healthcare team in
the development, implementation, and evaluation of the plan of care, in
conjunction with the requirements of the research protocol.
- Prioritizes all aspects of patient care including assessing,
teaching, coaching, ordering research protocol specified tests and
delegating to others as appropriate.
- Educates patients and caregivers while anticipating needs and
readiness to learn, about their research specified plan of care, promotion
of health, and prevention of disease.
- Communicates effectively and professionally with patients,
family and all members of the Interdisciplinary Patient Care Team.
- Manages assignments within the Care Delivery Model of
Modified Primary Nursing and demonstrates allocation of material resources
- Role models the tenets of Mount Sinai Relationship Centered
Care (MSHRCC) Professional Practice Model.
- Considers the patient’s values, preferences, cultural diversity,
expressed needs and knowledge in all aspects of care.
- Establishes and maintains a therapeutic relationship with the
research patient and family.
- Uses evidence-based practices to increase understanding of
research patients’ perceptions of care.
- Initiates service recovery for research patients and family
members who have concerns and escalates to Principal
Investigator/Sub-Investigator, Clinical Nurse Manager/Assistant Nurse
Manager/Nursing Shift Manager, Investigational Review Board or Patient Relations
- Demonstrates caring, respect, compassion, empathy and active
listening through dialogue, body language and actions.
- Supports staff use of evidence-based practices to increase
understanding of research patients’ perceptions of care.
Quality and Safety
- Practices safe and efficient patient-centered care,
identifying and escalating barriers and opportunities for improvement.
- Demonstrates clinical skills and knowledge crucial to quality
and safety in the patient population served.
- Implements process improvement strategies based on
institutional, evidence-based ensure and procedures.
- Engages in formal and informal peer and institutional review
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary teams to create and
implement quality improvement projects, evidence-based practice activities
and nursing research studies.
- Contributes to quality and safety practices and required
- Implements principles of high reliability to identify and
avoid high risk behaviors to provide a safe environment for patients.
- Escalates potential safety hazards or gaps from best practice
following institutional chain of command protocol.
- Utilizes institutional information technology by documenting
nursing practice to support quality and performance improvement
- Establishes and implements short and long term study goals,
objectives, and operating procedures to ensure a high level of fidelity in
the conduction of research studies.
- Provides consultation and education to members of the
interdisciplinary study team and participant populations specific to the
- Demonstrates patient focused and cost effective approaches to
patient care in terms of equipment, staff, supplies and all other
Documents in an accurate and
thorough manner in compliance with hospital, regulatory and legal requirements
and standards of care.
- Contributes to the environment of care to support clinical
colleagues, patients and their families and members of the healthcare
- Advances clinical competence in nursing practice to progress
from novice to expert.
- Projects a professional image to colleagues and communicates
with styles and methods that demonstrate caring, respect, compassion and
- Incorporates ethical principles into decision making for
patient and family.
- Encourages and demonstrates a spirit of scholarship, inquiry,
life-long learning and innovation for self and others.
- Acquires knowledge and skills relative to the role, patient
population, clinical specialty and local and/or global health community
- Participates in shared decision making through specialty
practice councils, nursing department committees and unit initiatives.
- Serves as a professional role model and preceptor for new
staff and students.
- Advances as a clinical leader as a patient throughput
facilitator and resource person for the unit/clinical service area.
- Articulates the values of research and evidence-based
practice and its application to nursing practice and the environment of
- Contributes to the profession of nursing through
participation in professional organizations.
NYS RN with BSN and BCLS with
at least 2 years acute care nursing experience required. Oncology experience, research nursing experience
and/or national certification preferred.
Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence.
We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as
diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and
lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled
record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine
work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming,
nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the
belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an
impact on quality patient care.
more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our
38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to
provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance
medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many
diverse communities we serve.
in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses,
including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount
Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai
Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount
Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote
recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to
make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender,
background, or sexual orientation.