Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
- Mount Sinai’s Institute for Advanced Medicine is seeking a NYS Licensed Mental Health Counselor (MHC) to provide administrative and program-related assessment and clinical services to the Sexual and Behavioral Health (SBH) Program, SUMMIT. SUMMIT is grant-funded program through the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (NYCDOHMH), which offers HIV and STI testing, STI treatment, vaccinations, linkages to primary care, PEP (HIV post-exposure prophylaxis) and PrEP (HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis), sexual health education, mental health and substance use screening and counseling, and assistance with entitlements to the uninsured and underinsured.
The MHC will work under the supervision of the Prevention Program Manager and Coordinator, with supervision and support from a Clinical Supervisor, collaborating with the program and clinic staff at multiple IAM sites to deliver SUMMIT services, providing and ensuring appropriate screening, assessment, education, counseling services, referral, follow-up, documentation and reporting to funders. The MHC will also spend time liaising with internal departments and external agencies to ensure a variety of referral options and successful client linkage for mental health and substance use services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Screens and assesses SUMMIT clients for mental health and substance use needs using standardized, validated tools for mental health/substance use (MH/SU) screening (provided by the NYC DOHMH).
2. Provides short-term mental health counseling, up to 10 visits per calendar year to SUMMIT clients.
3. Plays a central role in coordination, scheduling, delivery, documentation and reporting of MH/SU related program deliverables including therapeutic visits.
4. Communication, training and support of SUMMIT team and staff in internal and external clinical areas and agencies to ensure successful deployment of MH/SU and related program elements.
5. Assists in monitoring and evaluating overall program effectiveness with a focus on MH/SU; demonstrates continuous efforts to improve support operations and systems, to streamline work processes and to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of the program.
6. Assists in planning, coordination and outreach efforts to grow the MH/SU services of the IAM Prevention program in new directions and reach new populations, in person and via social media. Recommends new ideas and concepts for program themes, events, groups; works to procure or produce materials and resources to supplement or expand existing program components.
7. Work with Prevention and other clinic staff to counsel and support clients in distress regarding stigma, new diagnoses, disclosure, IPV and other challenges, including triage, identifying and referring to appropriate internal/external providers and programs
8. May be trained to provide HIV and STI testing and client assessments in clinic and occasional field-based settings.
9. Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
Master’s Degree (MA Counseling, LCSW), with NYS licensure to provide mental health and substance use counseling individual and group services.
Applicants with significant training and experience working with patients with or at risk for HIV/AIDS, patients in LGBTQGNCI+ communities, persons of color, immigrants and patients with active or past substance use are all desired.
Excellent written and oral communication and customer service skills with a variety of consumers, clinic staff and collaborating partners
Self-starter with excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and follow-through on time-sensitive tasks, projects and assignments
Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy
Knowledge of HIV/AIDS etiology, transmission, prevention and associated topics a major plus
Interested in providing select direct client services, including HIV and STI testing and related education
Bilingual candidates encouraged to apply
This is a grant-funded program with growth opportunities