Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Provides functional direction and supervision of decentralized scheduling staff. In collaboration with the practice administrator, oversees daily management of scheduling activities for the Mount Sinai Hospital’s Department of Neurosurgery’s procedural and surgical coordination activities. Specific responsibilities are outlined below.
- Oversees the scheduling functions within the OpTime/EPIC application ensuring smooth, efficient scheduling of operating room cases. Collaborates with decentralized and centralized OR schedulers, scheduling manager clinic administrative supervisors, OR nurse managers and anesthesia staff.
- Work with practice administrator to design and implement workflow changes to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of scheduling and operating room operations. Collaborates with Performance Improvement team to coordinate and direct scheduling improvement pilots and projects. Works directly and collaboratively with clinic schedulers to improve and standardized scheduling processes.
- Ensures proactive identification and effective resolution of potential scheduling conflicts. Ensures appropriate parties are alerted regarding potential problems/conflicts as appropriate. Creates and implement systems to alert appropriate persons regarding potential problems for example, changes in the OR cases, last minute cancellations etc.
- Directly supervises surgical scheduling staff. Coordinates and manages scheduler schedules and daily work assignments. Assist with interviewing and selecting new employees, organizing orientation to train new employees in operational procedures, evaluation of performance, recommending salary adjustments, coaching and counseling for performance problems up to termination, if necessary.
- Serves as primary liaison with other departments (surgical departments, peri-op, POMA clinic) oncerning scheduling of surgical cases into the operative suites. Provides training and problem solving for clinic OR schedulers, or other staff, utilizing expert knowledge base in OpTime. Role model service excellence expectations and builds essential intra- and inter-departmental partnerships that support organizational goals
- Assist with collection and organization of data required for evaluating and optimizing OR scheduling operations (i. e. room assignment records, block utilization, scheduled vs. actual times). Provides daily, weekly scheduling reports in Op Time and provide data and reports as requested by coordinators, business manager, or director as needed to support resource allocation and other critical operational decisions.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
- Bachelor's degree with a minimum of 1 year of procedural scheduling
- Experience obtaining surgical/procedural authorizations strongly preferred
- Experience with out of network surgical case(s) coordination desired
- Experience and knowledge of medical terminology, CPT & diagnosis codes is required
- Previous leadership and supervisory experience strongly preferred
- Previous experience with Epic & Epic OpTime scheduling and reporting desired.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.