Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Reporting to the Library Manager, the Library Assistant’s role at the Levy Library is responsible for providing an excellent standard of service to all Library users. He/she is expected to perform skilled library tasks, assignments, and special projects as needed to accomplish the work of the Circulation department during the evening and weekend.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- To provide a warm and welcoming presence to all Library users and create a positive first impression of the Library
- Opening and closing the Library on the weekend and closing the Library on weeknights by following established library opening and closing procedures
- Utilizes online integrated library system to charge and discharge library materials, renewals, and fines
- Assists users with the Library’s print management systems
- Provide front line service to Library users at the circulation desk; assisting patrons with reserve materials; directional information; locating library materials and resources using the online Library catalog
- Recording Circulation related statistics: gate counts, user surveys, library use surveys, and Circulation desk statistics
- Report facility issues which impact the Library space
- Perform Library maintenance activities including cleanup, ID checks, refilling printer and photo copier with paper and toner, and conducting errands
- Conduct stacks maintenance duties including shelving, shelf reading, and shelf tidying
- Assist users with basic classroom AV equipment support (e.g., laptop set-up and breakdown, polycom set-up, and connecting devices for projection)
- Troubleshoot basic equipment issues to either resolve issues or report / escalate in line with documented procedures
- Answer telephone and provide routine information or refer / transfer calls
- Participate in Circulation related special
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Ability to learn, understand, and implement library policies and procedures
- Experience with word processing programs, email, and web browsing
- Basic computer skills sufficient to perform the functions of the online catalog and the integrated library system
- Strong public and customer service orientation
- Proficient written and spoken communication skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Keep work areas organized and tidy
- Ability to bend, stoop, push, pull, and lift up to 30 pounds
- Previous experience working in a library
- Previous experience working outside normal business hours
- Experience with data entry and spreadsheet software
- Ability to adapt to organizational change
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity and inclusion is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize healthcare delivery together.
We work hard to recruit and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you have the opportunity and support to develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, have an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospitals, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.