Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
- Fulfills patient care responsibilities as assigned which may include: checking schedules and organizing patient flow; accompanying patients to exam/procedure room, assisting patients as needed with walking, transferring, dressing,
- Collecting and processing specimens and point of care testing, preparing for exam, etc. Assists physicians with various procedures, takes vital signs, relays instructions to patients and or families; answers calls and provides pertinent information.
- Fulfills clerical responsibilities as assigned which may include: sending and receiving patient medical records; obtaining lab/x-ray reports, hospital notes, referral information, etc. Completing forms and requisitions as needed,
- Managing charts to ensure information is completed and filed appropriately. These responsibilities may be carried out using the electronic medical record (EMR) system or manually as necessary.
- Enters orders into the electronic medical record (EMR) system or prepares prescription refill requests on behalf of the physician for the review and approval by the ordering physician.
- Inventories, orders or re-stocks medical supplies as applicable.
- Provides set-up of examination room and instruments in accordance with proper sterilization techniques established by hospital and infection control policies.
- Maintains logging system as required for refrigeration of medications, point of care testing, sterilization process, crash cart, point of care testing or others as needed.
- Checks expiration dates on all medications and medical supplies disposing appropriately as per institution policy.
- Maintains a safe, secure, and healthy work environment by following standards and procedures; complies with legal regulations.
- Complies with established personal protective equipment requirements necessary for protection against exposure to blood and other potentially infections body fluids, chemical disinfectants, radiation and other hazardous substances.
- Assists in the maintenance of medical charts (filing, Op Reports, test results, home care forms).
- May schedule surgeries/procedures or work in conjunction with Surgical Coordinator verifying times with patients; preparing charts, pre-admissions and consent forms as necessary.
- May be required to perform proficient phlebotomy duties.
- May perform appointment scheduling and registration for patients as well as updating patient demographic and insurance information.
- May maintain, adjust and confirm patient office schedule.
- May check and verify & update insurance information utilizing internal or web sources.
- May perform and verify pre-certification for procedures as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma/GED.Certification as a Medical Assistant from an approved school or equivalent training and experience.
- Completion of a Medical Assistant certificate program from an approved school OR 2 years of prior experience as a Medical Assistant