Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Department of Social Services (MSH) - Req Number: 2549118
Job Title: Social Worker Program Specialist
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Responsible for a specific program area, which includes program implementation, which also typically includes program and funding development, evaluation, and regulatory compliance. Responsibilities may include overseeing professional development and orientation of assigned Social Workers through individual and group teaching conferences, case discussions, and by sharing professional knowledge and/or experience relevant to particular patient or situation. May perform social work precepting for medical students, social work interns, and allied health profession students.
2. Monitors and evaluates performance and productivity of the program.
3. Provides social work services in accordance with social work assessments and diagnoses, and conducts individual and/or group treatment sessions for patients and families with personal and environmental difficulties which may interfere with obtaining maximum benefits from medical or psychiatric care.
4. Directs patients to appropriate community agencies and resources and conducts complex discharge planning.
5. Participates as team member in conferences with other health care professionals and communicates to patient care staffs any social, emotional or environmental problems which may affect patients' response to treatment.
6. Provides all necessary patient, staff and program documentation.
7. Keeps current regarding government and community social service programs and regulations and maintains and enhances professional skills through participation in appropriate education or development activities and Department meetings.
8. Develops and implements educational programs for health professionals and students within and outside the Hospital through such activities as formal precepting, participating on committees, consultations, and developing and presenting lectures for formal courses within the School of Medicine as well as precepting individual medical students.
9. Is able to identify areas for improved service delivery and to implement practices in accordance.
10. Identifies areas for study within patient groups and fosters analytic review by assigned professional staff.
11. Other relevant duties as assigned.
Master's degree in Social Work from an accredited institution
Must possess knowledge of social work theory and practice.
Expertise in specific program/service area generally required.
Work requires level of knowledge of social work process and community resources and agencies in relation to
health, illness, and disability, generally acquired through a minimum of 5 years related experience in a health care or related setting.