Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
The Human Immune
Monitoring Center at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai leverages
powerful technology platforms to provide comprehensive immune profiling
services for a diverse range of clinical and translational research studies.
Our assays generate large and complex experimental data sets, and the HIMC is
unique in developing and providing a suite of analytics services that relay on
state-of-the-art software. We are expanding and have an immediate opening for a
junior data engineer/data scientist to join our computational team.
The candidate will collaborate with a team of scientists and technicians on projects related to computational biology, including managing and expanding a suite of data processing and analysis pipelines for diverse data types, including single cell gene and protein expression, and highly multiplexed tissue imaging. This is an exciting opportunity to gain deep familiarity with a broad range of complex technologies and biological data types, while making a real impact at the forefront of translational immunology.
The core responsibilities will include establishing and overseeing automated data management and transfer workflows and building and executing a suite of data processing and analysis pipelines using distributed computational infrastructure. This is a dynamic position that will also offer many additional opportunities to delve deeper into data analysis for specific projects and work with the computational team on implementing statistical and machine learning methods and novel data visualization tools.
- Partners with scientist and research staff to efficiently and effectively use MSSM HPC clusters, to be expanded to over 10,000 cores with high bandwidth, low latency interconnects, several petabytes of data storage and databases.
- Works with research groups to help identify, implement and improve their computational and data workflow; assists in facilitating computing and data infrastructure solutions specific to MSSM researchers.
- Participates in the research and deployment of new technologies such as GPU’s, Hadoop and cloud computing.
- Assists in optimizing researchers’ codes for maximum performance.
- Troubleshoots, isolates and resolves applications and other technical issues.
- May benchmark application codes, develop regression tests and deploy application performance tools.
- Assists in the installation and management of numerical libraries and application performance tools.
- Participates in the development and and implementation of backup policies.
- Participates in the integration of HPC resources with laboratory equipment such as sequencers, etc.
- Works with scientists and researchers to effectively use complementary national resources including XSEDE.
- Helps define and deploy a comprehensive computational and data vision for MSSM researchers.
- Assists in developing and writing proposals. Creates and provides clear documentation on all items.
- Other relevant duties as assigned.
We are an energetic team and are looking for an enthusiastic, proactive candidate with the desire to learn complex new skills and techniques. Our ideal candidate will have
- A Bachelor’s degree in science with an emphasis on biology
- Experience with Python and/or R
- Knowledge of data structures and algorithms, e.g., graphs, trees, and hash tables
- Ability to write reusable, testable and efficient code and a proficient understanding of code versioning tools (e.g., Git)
- Interest in learning the scientific and technical motivations underlying data processing and analysis workflows
- Strong communication skills and an ability to interact well with others
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.