Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
- Fulfills patient care responsibilities as assigned which may include: checking schedules and organizing patient flow; accompanying patients to exam/procedure room, assisting patients as needed with walking, transferring, dressing, collecting and processing specimens and point of care testing, preparing for exam, etc. Assists physicians with various procedures, takes vital signs, relays instructions to patients and or families; answers calls and provides pertinent information.
- Fulfills clerical responsibilities as assigned which may include sending and receiving patient medical records, obtaining lab or x-ray reports, hospital notes, referral information, etc. Completing forms and requisitions as needed, managing charts to ensure information is completed and filed appropriately.
- These responsibilities may be carried out using the electronic medical record (EMR) system or manually as necessary.
- Enters orders into the electronic medical record (EMR) system or prepares prescription refill requests on behalf of the physician for the review and approval by the ordering physician.
- Inventories, orders or re-stocks medical supplies as applicable.
- Provides set-up of examination room and instruments in accordance with proper sterilization techniques established by hospital and infection control policies.
- Maintains logging system as required for refrigeration of medications, point of care testing, sterilization process, crash cart or others as needed.
- Checks expiration dates on all medications and medical supplies disposing appropriately as per institution policy.
- Maintains a safe, secure, and healthy work environment by following standards and procedures and in compliance with legal regulations.
- Complies with established personal protective equipment requirements necessary for protection against exposure to blood and other potentially infections body fluids, chemical disinfectants, radiation and other hazardous substances.
- Assists in the maintenance of medical charts (filing, Op Reports, test results, home care forms).
- May schedule surgeries/procedures or work in conjunction with Surgical Coordinator verifying times with patients; preparing charts, pre-admissions and consent forms as necessary.
- May be required to perform proficient phlebotomy duties.
- May perform appointment scheduling and registration for patients as well as updating patient demographic and insurance information.
- May maintain, adjust and confirm patient office schedule.
- May check and verify & update insurance information utilizing internal or web sources.
- May perform and verify pre-certification for procedures as necessary
- Provides training and mentoring to Level I MA staff.
- Directs and assigns MA schedules and work flow to meet the needs of the practice and applicable to patient volumes.
- Oversee the successful delivery of clinical office support to meet the needs of each physician.
- Performs other duties and tasks as required.
- High School Diploma/GED
- Certification as a Medical Assistant from an approved school or equivalent training and experience.
- 2 years of experience as a Medical Assistant. Certification as a Medical Assistant from an approved school or two additional years of experience as a medical assistant.