Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Under general supervision of licensed physicians and Ultrasound Supervisor, performs and/or assists in performing ultrasound examinations in accordance with established departmental policies and procedures. Sets up, adjusts, and operates sonography equipment. Responds to patients' needs as required. Maintains cleanliness of equipment and general working area, stocking clinical supplies. Ensures proper operation of sonographic equipment. Provides instruction to medical students and residents. Provides care to patients of all ages in the form of diagnostic testing. Registered Ultrasound Technologist: registry with American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS) or similar group.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under supervision of physicians and Ultrasound Supervisor, prepares patients and examination areas in accordance with departmental policies and procedures. Sets up, cleans and adjusts sonography equipment. Observes safety precautions both for equipment maintenance and patient well-being. Provides patient orientation prior to examination session.
- Under supervision, performs or assists in performing sonographic diagnostic evaluation in accordance with established clinical protocols. Operates and adjusts equipment, observing safety guidelines. Responds to patients' needs during testing. Records and codes all applicable examination results and completes all relevant medical documentation. May perform specialized diagnostic examinations as permitted by experience or registry.
- Provides related support functions as required. Schedules examinations; initiates transportation; maintains examination files and statistics. May answer telephones for area and record messages. Maintains clean work area and maintains full stock of applicable clinical supplies.
- Ensures good working order of equipment. Troubleshoots routine equipment problems or seeks technical assistance for equipment malfunctions, keeping supervisor(s) appropriately informed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or required as professional technologist. May assist with the training and orientation of residents from various departments and clinical students.
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent
- NYS-accredited training program in sonography in order to learn abdominal, Ob/Gyn, vascular, neuro,transrectal or vaginal sonography, as well as, knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and pathology
- Prior work experience of six months is desired in order to gain familiarity on-the-job with administration of ultrasound testing
- Familiar with sonographic equipment such as ATL, Siemens, and GE
- New ultrasound technologists require period of 30 days in order to orient themselves to techniques and work area
- Registered Ultrasound Technologist
- Registry with American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers or equivalent certifying organization is a preferred credential for this position
- Good analytical skills necessary for handling of ultrasound patients during administration of diagnostic testing. Must be able to appropriately assess the correct action to take during testing, while being cognizant of patient well-being
- Good interpersonal manner important during delivery of patient care in order to ensure harmonious interactions in ultrasound examinations and testing
- Work requires manual dexterity for use of sonographic equipment and instruments
- Light lifting of clinical supplies may be required. Adequate physical strength required for positioning of patient and equipment during examinations
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.