Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Department of Social Services (MSH) - Req Number: 2568986
Job Title: Administrative Assistant
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Serves as an intermediary between supervisor and other departmental staff by transmitting written and oral requests, messages and instructions.
2. Assists with budget preparation and is responsible for monitoring and maintaining records of expenses for variance reporting.
3. Assists in the planning and logistical coordination of meetings and office activities, forums and conferences.
4. May review and revise brochures, announcements or other informational items regarding program and/or departmental operations. Drafts, edits and formats materials such as flyers, leaflets and letters.
5. May prepare minutes of meetings, agendas, correspondence, statistical reports, tables and other documents and transcribes dictation as needed.
6. Prepares and follows up on purchase orders, change orders, check requests and petty cash vouchers. Processes and follows up on tuition and other forms of reimbursement for assigned staff.
7. Makes travel arrangements and accommodations. Prepares travel reimbursements and expense reports.
8. Screens and prioritizes all incoming mail for needed action and follow up. Responds to mail where appropriate or distributes mail requiring attention to appropriate individual(s).
9. Screens telephone calls, answers routine inquiries or refers caller to the appropriate individual for response.
10. May screen and schedule patient appointments, schedule referrals of special testing or doctor’s visits, and keep record of patient billing for submission.
11. May maintain employee and/or patient files.
12. May assist in processing payroll and/or maintaining the PTO system for the department.
13. May track expiration dates of staff’s professional licensure, and notify staff of upcoming license expiration date to prevent suspension.
14. Performs other related duties.
Associates Degree in Secretarial Science or related field, or HS/GED plus two years of related experience. Bachelors Degree preferred.
2-3 years administrative or medical office experience required
Required Competencies include:
Adaptability: Maintains effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusts effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
Applies Learning: Assimilates and applies new job-related information in a timely manner.
Builds Customer Loyalty: Effectively meets customer needs; builds productive customer relationships; takes responsibility for customer satisfaction and loyalty.
Builds Strategic Work Relationships: Develops and uses collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals.
Communication: Clearly conveys information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
Contributes to Team Success: Actively participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
Decision Making: Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; compares data from different sources to draw conclusions; uses effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; takes action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
Initiates Action: Takes prompt action to accomplish objectives; takes action to achieve goals beyond what is required; is proactive.
Manages Work (includes Time Management: Effectively manages one’s time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
Quality Orientation: Accomplishes tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; shows concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checks processes and tasks; is watchful over a period of time.
Stress Tolerance: Maintains stable performance under pressure or opposition (such as time pressure or job ambiguity); handles stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization.