Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Department of Social Services (MSH) - Req Number: 2571280
Job Title: Social Worker – Cardiac/Surgery
The Social Worker develops collaborative relationships with other disciplines to assure effective patient care. After appropriate training, demonstrates competency for specific patient population. In specific program areas (e.g. Renal and Transplant), more detailed job descriptions specific to the program area have been developed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Engagement and Assessment
Engage patients/care partners to assess and evaluate psychosocial needs for discharge planning and/or care management and/or other services. Engage patients/care partners for adjustment to health issues and evaluate coping strategies.
2. Discharge/Care Planning and Psychosocial Interventions
Formulate interventions, discharge and/or comprehensive care plan that address identified needs. Provide clinical support to achieve mutually identified goals, in accordance with social work practice standards. Connect patients/care partners with appropriate community resources.
Engage providers/interdisciplinary team around patient/care partner treatment concerns and provision of services. Collaborate with other internal departments and external community-based organizations and providers, as needed.
Document patient encounters and program activities accurately, with appropriate detail, in a timely manner. All documentation follows department and program specific requirements, provides a concise narrative, and is current, meaningful and internally consistent.
5. Supervision, Professional Development, and Licensure
Participate actively in supervision to assess and improve professional/clinical competence and actively seek professional development opportunities. Pursue professional development delineated by department Clinical Career Ladder. Obtain licensure consistent with New York State Office of the Professions criteria and departmental expectations.
6. Performs other related duties.
New York State LMSW.
Knowledge of social work services theories and techniques.
Level of knowledge of social work process and community resources and agencies in relation to health, illness and disability, generally acquired through six months to one year related experience in a medical or health care setting.
Skills and Competencies
1. High level of interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with Hospital and agency health care professionals, and to interact with patients and families during periods of emotional stress.
2. Analytical abilities necessary to assess patient needs, to develop associated treatment modalities, and to provide effective counseling.
3. Ability to develop understanding of the specific patient population with regard to socio demographic characteristics, behavior patterns, and service needs.
Strength Through Diversity