Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Dept Name: Pulmonary Function Lab REQ # 2578414
Job Title: Registered Respiratory Therapist
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Respiratory Therapist helps patients who experience difficulty breathing, learn to use various equipment and techniques to aid in clearer and more efficient breathing. The Respiratory Therapist is assigned to work in the Pulmonary Function Laboratory to perform Pulmonary Function Testing as well as providing treatments and procedures to patients in the lab.
1. Demonstrate the ability, understanding and proper utilization of the following: nasal cannula, venti mask, USN, non-Rebreather masks, changing regulators, pulse oximetry etc.
1. Demonstrate competency to perform the following pulmonary function testing procedures: spirometry, lung volumes, diffusing capacity, fraction of exhaled nitric oxide testing, impulse oscillometry, simple pulmonary stress test, cardiopulmonary exercise stress test (CPET), methacholine challenge test (MCT) sputum induction, arterial blood gas, maximum inspiratory and expiratory pressure, maximum voluntary ventilation, and other tests as assigned.
2. Perform daily calibration of all pulmonary function equipment as required.
3. Act as biological control for pulmonary function equipment.
4. Demonstrate the ability to perform preventative monthly maintenance and trouble shoot equipment.
5. Demonstrate clinical competency in evaluation, analysis, and interpretation of data obtained from diagnostic and physiologic tests.
6. Demonstrate competency in performance criteria of Medication and Medical Gas Administration: Proper use of metered dose inhalers, peak flow meters, Oxygen, Nitric Oxide etc.
7. Demonstrate competency in performance criteria of handling medical gas cylinders.
8. Demonstrate the ability to administer bronchodilators and educate patient on the usage of metered dose inhalers and other medication delivery devices.
9. Demonstrate competency in use of electronic medical record – documentation, order sets, etc.
10. Act as a liaison to facilitate training of staff and the development of testing protocols.
11. Perform inventory check.
12. Demonstrate the ability to be involved in research studies involving performing pulmonary function testing.
13. Communicate with scheduler and other personnel to facilitate in-patient testing and clarification of clinical aspects of testing.
14. Confirm testing instructions e.g. CPETs and MCT for adequate patient preparation.
15. Adhere to department’s policies and procedures.
16. Maintain cleanliness and safe work environment.
17. Perform other related duties.
18. Demonstrate clinical competency performance in ETT placement and securing airway. Suctioning ETT, including closed system suctioning, open system with sterile technique.
19. Demonstrate Ventilator and BiPAP/CPAP setup and management.
20. Demonstrate proficiency in bedside testing for weaning (spirometery), use of End Tidal CO2 and Peak Flow meters.
- NYS Respiratory Therapist with Associate’s degree in a Respiratory Therapy program with AHA BLS. Bachelor’s degree and exp in Pulmonary Function lab highly desired.
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.