Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Mount Sinai is one of the largest non-profit health systems in the U.S. with a strong reputation for quality of care and research/education. Our health system has ~40,000 employees working together to provide billions of dollars in high-quality care for millions of patients each year.
We are accelerating a transition to a business model focused on population health management – our goal is to keep entire communities healthy and out of the hospital. Mount Sinai Health Partners (MSHP), the population health division of the Mount Sinai Health System and the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, located in the New York Metropolitan area and ranked 5th in Fast Company’s “Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Big Data” is the team driving this transformation within Mount Sinai. The team includes 400+ employees with clinical, contracting, finance, IT, analytics, operations, and product development expertise.
Mount Sinai Health Partners is realizing this new objective in two ways. First, we engage in value-based contracts with health plans. Using analytical insights, we deploy our clinical programs to improve the health of attributed populations and maximize customer value. Second, we have created a team to assemble our clinical and population health assets into product offerings (e.g., care bundles, worksite health centers, insurance products in partnership with health plans), and sell them to individuals and employers via multiple channels.
MSHP is a fast growing business unit within Mount Sinai and is looking for team members who:
· Are comfortable “playing up” and “playing down” as needed to accomplish business objectives
· Work productively amidst ambiguity
· Thrive in fast-paced work environments
· Seek to improve the status quo
Within the MSHP Analytics team, the Data Engineer team is responsible for data management and engineering in support of the Clinical Informatics team comprised of data scientists who deliver reporting, statistical modeling and advanced analytics with a focus on Risk Adjustment, Quality, Utilization and Care Management for various stakeholders.
MSHP seeks a Data Engineer. In this role, the Data Engineer will design, develop and provision highly curated marts of data in an Oracle data warehouse and Big Data platform. These data marts fuel analysis and create insights and BI (Business Intelligence) solutions that contribute to sound strategic planning, decision-making, goal setting, and effective performance measurement. The Data Engineer is also responsible for data management and engineering in support of the Clinical Informatics team of data scientists who deliver reporting, statistical modeling and advanced analytics with a focus on Risk Adjustment, Quality, Utilization and Care Management for various stakeholders. The role will be supporting, enhancing an enriching the existing claims data warehouse for supporting the data scientist team with various projects and stakeholders. This role will report directly to the Lead Data Engineer.
· Effectively collaborate and communicate with your stakeholders and data scientist to understand their needs and ensure all data management requests are properly triaged, recorded and tracked.
· Work with enrollment, eligibility, medical claims, Electronic Medical Record (EMR), pharmacy claims, utilization, clinical, medical management, financial, quality, administrative and other corporate or third party data from raw, modeled and disparate internal and external sources.
o Work with departmental staff to identify business requirements for data intake, reporting and / or business intelligence tools.
o Ensure all data intake leverages approved enterprise methods for data exchange and transfer, including setup and utilization of secure FTP.
o Identify necessary data, data sources and methodologies to meet the business need.
o Work with IT or independently to collect, organize, integrate, profile and curate data, in both our Oracle and/or Big Data platform Microsoft Azure Hadoop environments.
o Identify and address expected and unforeseen data complexities to mitigate their impact on the analytic outcome and associated business decisions. Clearly communicate data issues to the recipients and work to improve data quality where possible within the data marts you create.
o Feed data quality issues back to IT or identified data stewards (inside and outside the team) to assist in our quest for the highest quality data.
o Assist in building reports or dashboards that profile or express the quality of data to your stakeholders.
· Design and build Extract, Transform & Load (ETL) routines to ensure that data intake is consistently processed and integrated in accordance with approved business logic.
· Implement automated processes to save time and improve efficiency.
· Design and build data marts to specification to enhance standard reporting and analyses being built by data science team.
· Execute production programs on daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly schedule for standardized reporting and other data processes that have been built by data science team.
· Adhere to corporate standards for performance metrics, data collection, data integrity, query design, and reporting format to ensure high quality, meaningful analytic output.
· Help identify and understand data from internal and external sources for competitive, scenario and performance analyses, and financial modeling to gain member/provider insight into new and existing processes and business opportunities.
· Work closely with IT on the ongoing improvement of Mount Sinai’s integrated data warehouse, driven by strategic and business needs, and designed to ensure data and reporting consistency throughout the organization.
· Develop and maintain project work plans, including critical tasks, milestones, timelines, interdependencies and contingencies. Track and report progress. Keep stakeholders apprised of project status and implications for completion.
· Provide technical support to data analytics functions as they relate to varied business units, and technical expertise on the selection, development and implementation of various reporting and BI tools tied to business unit reporting requirements.
· Prepare clear, well-organized project-specific documentation, including, at a minimum, data dictionaries, analytic methods used, key decision points and caveats, with sufficient detail to support comprehension and replication.
· Ability to coordinate with offshore development resources on various requests and projects.
· Share development and process knowledge with other staff to assure redundancy and continuously build a core of technical strength within the organization.
· Demonstrate proficiency with the principles and methodologies of process improvement. Apply these in the execution of responsibilities in support of a process focused approach.
Education and Experience
· Minimum of BA/BS degree in a relevant field of study; Master’s degree preferred.
· At least 2 years of data mart or data warehouse development experience for a health provider, health plan or accountable care organization including either:
Additional Skills and Qualities
· Strong technical skills working with SQL (Oracle’s PL/SQL preferred) developing and trouble-shooting stored procedures and developing adhoc scripts.
· Strong data mining skills using tools like SQL, R, Python, SAS, Java/MapReduce, Aster, etc
· Ability and passion to learn data acquisition, orchestration and provisioning techniques with rapidly evolving technologies like Sqoop, Flume, Impala, etc
· Ability to work in a dynamic environment with various team members with different levels of data manipulation.
· General understanding of ETL tools like SSIS, Data Stage, PowerCenter, Pentaho, Dataiku, etc.
· Ability to exercise critical thinking and logical reasoning, and understand the conceptual framework and database relationships underlying health care data.
· Exposure to visualization tools such as Tableau, , Information Builders, Dimensional Insights, SAP/Business Objects, SAS, MicroStrategy, etc.
· Ability to think creatively; demonstrated excellent problem solving skills.
· Excellent oral and writing skills characterized by the ability to communicate effectively with varying audiences.
· Demonstrated ability to articulate goals, plan and implement processes to achieve those goals, recognize and assess the implications of confounding variables, anticipate consequences, and meet deadlines
· Advanced interpersonal (e.g., mediating, mentoring, teaching) skills required to service internal and external clients effectively, and manage relationships and activities that are diverse and complex.
· Self-motivated and resourceful, with a demonstrated ability to think and work independently, and to exercise independent judgment in originating or developing complex techniques or programs in a complex and dynamic environment.
· High level of integrity as demonstrated by 1) appropriate treatment of confidential or protected health information, 2) adherence to policies, procedures, rules, and regulations, 3) professional conduct in dealing with persons internal and external to the organization, and 4) sensitivity to populations served by the organization.
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity and inclusion is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize healthcare delivery together.
We work hard to recruit and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you have the opportunity and support to develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, have an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
The Mount Sinai Health System is New York City's largest integrated delivery system, encompassing eight hospitals, a leading medical school, and a vast network of ambulatory practices throughout the greater New York region. Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospitals, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
Mount Sinai's vision is to produce the safest care, the highest quality, the highest satisfaction, the best access and the best value of any health system in the nation. Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.