Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
- A Postdoctoral Fellow position is currently available within the laboratory of Dr. Alan Shih at the Tisch Cancer Institute within the Icahn School of Medicine of Mount Sinai. The lab focuses on leukemia and working on mouse models of disease. The project may involve performing preclinical trial studies, genomics, flow cytometry, molecular biology, and cell sorting. The candidate will have an opportunity to contribute to and shape several ongoing projects within the lab. The Postdoctoral Fellow will report directly to the Principle Investigator (PI).
The Tisch Cancer Institute is a vital component of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Hospital and plays a key role in the Mount Sinai Health System, which is one of the largest health care systems in the nation. We are a National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated center and provide a multidisciplinary approach to cancer treatments and clinical breakthroughs that may one day put an end to cancer.
1. Conduct and design experiments under the direction of lab PI using advanced research techniques; performing basic molecular and cellular biology methods including tissue culture as well as biochemistry techniques such as cytotoxicity assays, PCR, Western Blot and analysis of samples through flow cytometry. Must be able to read and understand scientific data being applied to conduct the research.
2. Report to PI research progress and maintain a current knowledge of literature in relevant fields. Incumbents are expected to stay apprised of the literature as well as practical skill sets relevant to the field.
3. Maintain good records and contact with collaborators.
4. Nurture collaborative relationships with fellow scientists within the institution, locally, nationally and internationally.
5. Summarize experimental data timely and assist in drafting publications under the direction of the PI. Assists the Principal Investigator with publications by extracting and compiling moderate to complex research data (i.e. related to oncology, immunology, microbiology, etc); assisting in interpreting the data; reviewing and editing articles used in scientific publication. Must have strong science background.
6. Master computer and technical skills necessary for experimental execution as well as data input and analysis.
7. Mentors and trains less experienced research staff and graduate students in research techniques and use of equipment.
8. Performs other related duties as assigned.
- • A Ph.D.
• Proficiency in Molecular and Cell Biology (such as PCR, flow cytometry, electrophoresis, tissue culture, etc.) required.
• Excellent communication skills in written and oral English are essential.
• Experience in animal research (mouse modeling of disease) highly desirable
• Candidates with previous experience handling next generation sequence data are encouraged to apply.