Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Director of Clinical Pharmacy Operations is responsible for all clinical pharmacy programs throughout the Hospital, including roll out of pharmacy clinical initiatives in all pharmacy locations, staff education, medication use evaluations, research, grants, publications, investigational drug activities, antimicrobial assistance program, performance improvement activities, adverse drug reaction program, and medication error evaluation. The Director of Clinical Pharmacy Operations will ensure compliance with all applicable local, state and federal laws, rules and regulations.
The Director of Clinical Pharmacy Operations (or designee) is responsible for ensuring that licensed staff members maintain an active New York State registration and maintain appropriate competencies. The Director of Clinical Pharmacy Operations is responsible for formulary management and all communications regarding medication issues within the department and outside of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assists the Sr. Director of Pharmacy in setting objectives and priorities and determining strategies to accomplish department objectives of providing quality services to patients and staff. Participates in the development of policies and procedures.
2. Participates in analyzing records to indicate prescribing trends and excessive usage of drugs.
3. Monitors and implements new pharmacy programs.
4. Advises the Sr. Director of Pharmacy in developing quality assurance techniques to ensure safe, legal, and ethical practices.
5. Participates in inter-intra departmental meetings to advise and inform hospital medical staff of drug applications and characteristics.
6. Assumes responsibilities of the Sr. Director of Pharmacy in his/her absence.
7. Assigns work, sets deadlines and supervises work of staff.
8. Recruits, trains and evaluates performance of assigned staff. Performs disciplinary activity as necessary.
9. Performs other related duties.
10. Assists the Sr. Director of Pharmacy in the preparation of pharmacy budget and department reports required by hospital administrators and finance department.
2. Oversees inventory of pharmacy products and supplies to meet department and hospital demands.
3. Oversees computer systems, robotics, automated dispensing cabinets, IV program systems, bar code management and other systems related to the departmental functioning.
4. Oversees GPO and individual contract opportunities for the hospital.
5. Oversees coordination of the interview process for hiring personnel.
6. Oversees staffing, scheduling and payroll of all departmental BU and weekly NBU employees.
7. Recommends and or performs disciplinary actions of assigned staff as required.
Clinical Pharmacy Services:
1. Coordinates all clinical pharmacy programs throughout the Hospital, including roll out of pharmacy clinical initiatives in all pharmacy satellite locations, staff education, medication use evaluations, research, grants, publications, investigational drug activities, antimicrobial assistance program, performance improvement activities, adverse drug reaction program, and medication error evaluation.
2. Preceptor and Program Director of the ASHP PGY-1 Pharmacy Residency program
3. Pharmacy lead for EPIC willow program
4. Review regulatory standards for updates, develop and implement changes to ensure compliance
5. Serve as liaison to QA and Risk Management departments
6. Member of various hospital committees and assigns pharmacy representation in hospital QA committees
7. Preparation of P & T and other committee agendas.
8. Administers and maintains pharmacy clinical data bases.
9. Editor of Formulary Facts, Pharmacy Bulletins, and Drug Recalls
10. Coordinate rotations for pharmacy students from our University Affiliates
Graduate from an accredited school of Pharmacy (ACPE), advanced degree preferred
Board Certification in Pharmacotherapy is preferred
Completion of a PGY1 or equivalent pharmacy residency plus a minimum of 5 years of hospital or similar institution experience including sufficient experience as a staff pharmacist and pharmacy supervision
Excellent written, oral and interpersonal skills
Excellent organizational, problem solving and analytical skills
Proven leadership and management skills
Excellent time and financial management skills
Excellent customer service skills
Thorough knowledge of state and federal laws regarding pharmacy services
Proficient in the use and application of new medications and technology services
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity and inclusion is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s
unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize healthcare delivery together.
We work hard to recruit and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you have the opportunity and support to develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, have an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospitals, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We comply with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate, exclude, or treat people differently on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.