Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
- The laboratory of Joseph Buxbaum, PhD, at the Seaver Autism Center for Research and Treatment in the Department of Psychiatry at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York, is seeking an ambitious, creative, and motivated postdoctoral fellow with expertise in neuroscience to study the mechanisms underlying autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and intellectual disability (ID).
The Buxbaum laboratory and the Seaver Center aim to translate emerging genetic findings from large-scale genomic studies into functional analyses in cellular and mouse models with the goal of understanding the pathogenic underpinnings of ASD and ID. The Center focuses on ADNP, DDX3X, FOXP1 and SHANK3-associated syndromes, all of which are rare genetic disorder associated with ASD and ID, using cellular and animal models.
What we offer
We offer a 2-year position, renewable for up to 5 years, with a competitive salary and benefit package. The candidate will have the opportunity to:
• Conduct cutting-edge research with a strong translational impact for neurodevelopmental disorders;
• Integrate the neuroscience expertise with genetics and genomics skills and be involved in
large-scale genomic studies;
• Be an active participant in the vibrant and exciting research community of the Seaver Center and the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
The Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai offers convenient housing options for postdoctoral fellows. Postdocs also receive support from a dedicated Office of Postdoctoral Affairs. To learn more about postdoc services and resources, please visit:
The Seaver Autism Center for Research and Treatment at the Mount Sinai Health System is a fully integrated translational research center dedicated to discovering the biological causes of autism and developing breakthrough treatments. Our mission is to bridge the gap between new discoveries at the basic science level and clinical care, by developing new and improved approaches to autism diagnosis and treatment. Our interdisciplinary patient-based research team includes psychiatrists, psychologists, a developmental pediatrician, neurologist, clinical geneticist, and trainees in medicine and psychology. The Seaver Autism Center is committed to serving individuals of all levels of functioning and takes a unique genetics-first approach to ASD research. The Seaver Center is one of the highest ranked autism research centers and Investigators at the Seaver Center have strong collaborations with the Departments of Psychiatry, Neuroscience, and Genetics and Genomic Sciences at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai. We also collaborate with several other institutions, nationally and internationally.
To learn more about the Seaver Autism Center, please visit:
To learn more about the Department of Psychiatry, please visit: http://icahn.mssm.edu/about/departments/psychiatry
To learn more about the Mount Sinai Health System, please visit: http://www.mountsinai.org The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.
- Qualifications and Experience
• PhD, MD, MD/PhD in Neuroscience/Molecular Biology/Cellular Biology;
• Demonstrated expertise in neuroscience;
• Strong record of publications in peer-reviewed journals;
• Excellent communication skills;
• Ability to work in an international and interdisciplinary team.
• Experience with primary neuronal cultures including iPSC-derived cells;
• Experience with mouse models;
• Good understanding of genetics;
• Familiarity with R and other statistical software.