Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Department Name - Engineering
REQ # 2638890
Job Title: ADV Steam Systems Operator
Operates, maintains and repairs Plant equipment such as: boilers, furnaces, pumps, fans, engines, turbines, compressors, heating and ventilating equipment.
Roles & Responsibilities:
1. Fires boiler and regulates size of flame by
turning and adjusting controls so as to keep steam pressure steady and minimize
smoke. Observe indicators such as drum level, steam pressure gauge, steam flow
meter, draft indicators and fuel meters to determine that boiler is functioning
normally. Insures that water level in boiler is as required and makes necessary
adjustments. Reports promptly to Watch Engineer any abnormal situations or
2. Performs related duties such as cleaning of boilers and related equipment both internally and externally. Performs all aspects of preventive maintenance on all plant equipment.
3. Closely inspects and monitors the fuel oil delivery piping and systems and immediately reports any abnormalities to the Watch Engineers
4. Makes chemical tests of boiler and other fluids and alters chemical treatment as required.
5. Conducts periodic inspections of utility pits and lift stations.
6. Records hours of equipment operation, temperatures, and pressures. Records usage and consumption of fuel, water, and electricity.
7. Assists Watch Engineers and performs all duties under their supervision and assignment.
8. Performs any other duties that may be assigned.
- High School Diploma or /GED
- Minimum of three-years of experience in the maintenance, operation, troubleshooting and repairs of plant related mechanical equipment and or boilers as either a Maintenance Mechanic “B” or Plumber. NYC Department of Air Resources Certificate is highly preferred.
- NYCFD Certificate of Fitness P-98 is highly preferred
- Lathe, milling machine and machinist experience a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required
- Basic Computer skills desirable.
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.