Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
The Semantic Web Data Designer is responsible for driving the design, development, and production implementation of the front-end component of the Human Aware Data Acquisition framework (“HADatAc”), its ontology browser, and dataset exploration dashboard for the Human Health Exposure Analysis Resource Data Repository (“HHEAR”). HHEAR’s goal is to expand the inclusion of environmental exposures in research. The HHEAR Data Center is a semantic repository of interconnected; harmonized datasets curated using the HADatAc platform. This position will work with the HHEAR Data Center Director, environmental epidemiologists, and other stakeholders nationwide to design and build the front-end components through which epidemiologists and other researchers browse, query, and analyze HHEAR data, and connect the data in HHEAR to the universe of related linked datasets throughout the web.
- Develops software using modern data visualization and web application toolkits such as Play (Java and Scala), React.js and D3.js to deliver rich, interactive dashboards and data visualizations enhancing users’ ability to explore CHEAR datasets and identify relevant research
- Applies Linked Data principles to interconnect HHEAR datasets with related datasets published on the web.
- Partners with the HHEAR Data Center developers to design and implement the interfaces between the front end and data repository
- Validates, measures and enhances the software’s ability to meet the science-driven requirements, meeting performance, integration, and scalability requirements.
- Establishes, communicates, and enforces best practices for application design patterns, interface standards, and development guidelines.
- Plays a critical role in the investigation of new technologies to provide development viability of architectural initiatives to meet medium to long-term business needs.
- Partners with researchers and other stakeholders to define, scope, and prioritize the desired features of the dashboard.
- Understands the overarching HHEAR goals and objectives. Investigates and proposes data visualization strategies to meet those objectives by introducing innovation through technology.
- Works with the HHEAR Data Center Director and development team to translate software architecture into design. Translates design into software. Collaborates with developers and architects at other sites.
- Writes documentation and provides training. Assist with publications, proposals, and presentations internally as well as at research workshops and conferences.
- Performs related duties as assigned or requested.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 5+ years’ software development experience using best practices for software engineering.
- Strong Java programming experience required
- Experience with Play framework preferred
- Experience in one or more of the following is required (with a strong penchant for mastering the remaining skills):
- JQuery, AJAX, Google Charts, D3.js, React.js
- Search Engines (Lucene/SOLR).
- Experience with Semantic Web/Ontologies and Linked Data
- Understanding of W3C Semantic Web standards including RDF, OWL, RDFS, PROV and knowledge based management with the use of SPARQL, turtle documents and XML/OWL encodings.