Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
In our Laboratory of Medical Epigenetics, we have an exciting opportunity to join our basic and translational team as a Senior Research Scientist to investigate the neuroimmune and neuroendocrine basis of suicidal behavior through genomics approaches. The successful candidate will be responsible for collaborating with the Principal Investigator (PI) as well as working independently within the scientific framework of the PI's laboratory.
The Haghighi Lab (PI: Fatemeh Haghighi) at Mount Sinai and the James J. Petres Bronx VA Medical Center is dedicated to understanding the molecular mechanisms associated with the confluence of risk factors that contribute to suicidal behavior. The lab is interested in how physical and/or psychosocial stress can induce transcriptional regulatory abnormalities that influence later neuroimmune and endocrine functioning, leading to psychiatric symptoms. Physical stressors like traumatic brain injury can enhance or contribute to these abnormalities, and psychosocial stressors like childhood and combat trauma increase risk for psychopathologies and suicidal behavior. Applying both genomics and computational approaches, we undertake human postmortem and clinical studies to identify genes and genetic pathways that undergo sustained transcriptional regulatory changes in response to such environmental insults.
Some of the research interests and approaches used by the lab include:
- Utilizing novel single-cell sequencing technologies directly in postmortem human brain with the goal of uncovering dysregulated transcriptional networks associated with suicide.
- Utilizing genomics sequencing technologies in combination with FACS within both postmortem human brains of suicide victims and bloods from clinical samples of suicide attempters to identify chromatin alterations (e.g., DNA methylation via MethylC-seq, chromatin accessibility via ATAC-seq) in specific cell types including neurons, glia, monocytes, etc.
- Initiates, interprets, organizes, executes, and coordinates research assignments critical to the lab's mission
- Formulates and conducts research on problems of considerable scope and complexity
- Explores scientific subjects and defines the scope and selection of problems for investigation
- Makes decisions and recommendations that have a major impact on extensive scientific research activities
- Develops new ideas that promote current research. Exercises a high degree of creativity, foresight, independence, and mature judgment in planning, organizing, and guiding extensive scientific research programs and activities of outstanding novelty and importance
- May manage the operations of a lab for the Principal Investigator by supervising Post Docs and technicians. Oversees the maintenance and upkeep of instruments and laboratory facilities
- Ensures timely and accurate completion of research projects. Identifies and resolves technical problems
- Provide students with technical training & guidance in the operation of various scientific techniques, equipment, as well as general laboratory practices and safety protocols
- Participates in writing grant proposals and assisting the PI in obtaining grant funding from external sources in support of research
- May be responsible for research/lab quality control and compliance
- Develops and optimizes protocols for the collection and quality of research data
- Develops research techniques and methodologies
- May determine and establish laboratory policies, procedures and practices
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of the advances in specialized fields through attendance of scientific conferences
- Contributes to writing and preparation of scientific papers. Is a resource/ author/ co-author for reports and presentations
- May provide recommendations for equipment purchases and for the design of lab space
- May coordinate the activity and experimental design between various labs, scientific staff, and collaborators
- May serve on internal committees to help further goals of research projects and bring new expertise to the research program
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Education: PhD in a biological field and 5 years of hands-on laboratory experience
- Experience: Must have excellent communications skills (verbal and written), work well in a team environment, possess leadership skills, and demonstrable evidence a very high level of molecular laboratory technical skills
- Preferred Qualifications: 5 years of post-doctoral or industry experience. Established a record of significant publications
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We comply with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate, exclude, or treat people differently on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.