Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
A funded senior associate researcher position is available immediately at the ICAHN School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, Ronald M. Loeb Center for Alzheimer’s disease, Department for Neuroscience in NYC. Research focuses on dementia (Alzheimer’s disease & frontotemporal dementia) and addiction (alcohol dependence). In each of these projects our goal is to understand the molecular basis of disease in order to identify novel targets for therapeutic development. The team comprises 20 scientific and technical staff. This person will have a shared role as Lab Manager and Researcher.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Ordering lab supplies and reagents, receiving packages and storage, order and inventory tracking, negotiation with vendors for discounts and bulk orders, purchasing of equipment and maintenance of services contracts, organizing, updating and overseeing lab digital resources including shared Google Drive and Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN) for lab protocols, SOPs, inventory and tracking of usage of common and shared supplies and reagents, including aliquoting and QC of growth factors and bulk shared reagents, animal colony breeding and tracking, and lab organizational meeting notes
- Biospecimen shipments and maintain a systematic recording of samples
- Manage and maintain animal colonies including breeding and genotyping
- Support research projects involving animals and cells (cell lines and induced pluripotent stem cells)
- Conducting and assisting in routine and standardized experiments using techniques specific to the research projects as assigned by the PI
- Opportunities to engage in other research projects as time permits
- Performs other related duties
Independently conducts research experiments using advanced technique. Analyzes and interprets highly complex results. Reviews and presents data for publication or presentation.
- Conducts a variety of research experiments using advanced research techniques
- Coordinates project activities to meet deadlines.
- Collaborates with the Principal Investigator in the development of new experiments and research techniques.
- Assists in the implementation of standardized protocols for experiments and training purposes.
- Assists the Principal Investigator with publications by extracting and compiling data; reviewing and editing articles for publication.
- Education: B.S. in Biology or related field
- Minimum 3 years of experience working in scientific labs
- Minimum 1 year hands on experience in DNA/ RNA extraction, genotyping and targeted sequencing
- Experience in lab management/compliance
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work efficiently in a team / strong interpersonal skills
- Experience: 5 years in a research environment
- Excellent organizational, problem solving and analytical skills
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Knowledge of standard research concepts
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We comply with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate, exclude, or treat people differently on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.