The Laboratory Supervisor is accountable for all administrative and operational functions of the laboratory. S/he ensures that staff follows policies and procedures to meet departmental objectives to meet patient needs and comply with regulatory agencies.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Supervises the work and daily operations of the Laboratory service employees to ensure adherence to quality standards, deadlines, and proper procedures.
- Resolves day to day operational problems related to system, personnel and equipment performance. Reviews and updates laboratory procedures and methodologies.
- Prepares work schedules, assigns and prioritizes work to staff, ensuring adequate coverage at all times. May perform duties of subordinate employees on an as needed basis.
- Provides employees with guidance in handling difficult or complex problems and in resolving escalated complaints or disputes.
- Discusses job performance problems with employees to identify causes and issues and to work on resolving problems
- Evaluates employees' job performance and conformance to regulations and recommend appropriate personnel action.
- Recruit, interview, select employees, and provide effective recommendation for hiring and firing; evaluates competency and performance of personnel, recommend disciplinary actions promotions. Teaches new employees, trainees, medical students, residents and fellows on various laboratory techniques
- Advises and orients staff on policies and procedures as well as quality control measures for test procedures. Ensures compliance with standards and regulations of accrediting and government agencies.
- Apprises management of problems beyond the scope of own knowledge and expertise.
- Organizes and provides direction to in-service meetings and continuing education seminars.
- Reviews and submits departmental payroll.
- Ensures all laboratory personnel maintain accredited licensing and certification.
- Maintains adequate inventory of laboratory supplies and reagents.
- Performs other related duties.
Bachelor’s degree in Medical Technology required
3+ years experience (higher preferred) in laboratory setting. Supervisory experience preferred.
Licensing and Certification Requirements:
NYS Clinical Laboratory Technologist licensure
Microsoft Office - Intermediate
General Skills and Competencies:
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills
- Analytical and problem solving skills
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity and inclusion is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize healthcare delivery together.
We work hard to recruit and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you have the opportunity and support to develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, have an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospitals, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.