Mount Sinai Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Emergency Department Manager
The Mount Sinai Health System
Do you have what it takes to wear the badge?
The Mount Sinai Health System’s commitment to excellence extends beyond delivering world-class health care. The System’s ongoing success is dependent upon our highly motivated, nonclinical professionals working to improve business operations. Our leadership team is driven to provide exceptional service by cultivating a workforce that is dedicated to upholding Mount Sinai’s mission of delivering innovative, breakthrough medicine with compassion and integrity.
Are you ready to discover the world of limitless possibilities that comes with wearing the badge? Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story of unrivaled patient care!
The Emergency Department is a fast paced, physically demanding and frequently psychosocially stressful environment. The Emergency Department Manager has first line responsibility for the day-to-day operations of all ED Registration areas. Under the direction of the Administrative Director, they are responsible for providing a high level of customer service when interacting with patients, visitors, staff and various clinical teams and ancillary departments. The ED manager will monitor department operational activities to ensure performance standards are achieved. In addition, the ED Manager will perform registration functions as needed, act as a resource to registration Units for staff development, coverage issues and assistance with difficult accounts. The ED Manager will assist in ensuring comprehensive and appropriate staff education/development; support and actively participate in ensuring the ED fiscal year and long range goals and objectives are met. The ED Manager will participate in the department On-Call rotation schedule. The Emergency Department is a dynamic 24/7, high volume, high acuity area and the position is accountable 24 hours a day, seven days per week.
- Has 24-hour accountability for the overall technical, service and administrative line tasks and optimizing the day to day front line operations of the Emergency Department
- Supervises and coordinates the activities of the clerical/registration staff and is responsible for maintaining the environment, equipment and stock in the ED
- Has 24 hour accountability for all ED clerical and registration processes (available by pager, phone 24 x 7)
- Assures that the facility is appropriately maintained and environmentally safe for patients and staff
- Responsible for maintaining equipment and service contracts, for maintaining appropriate par levels of clinical and clerical supplies and for training clerical/registration staff in new systems
- Acts as departmental liaison with Finance to ensure that clerical staffs maintain current knowledge of all financial class and registration changes
- Responsible for accurate completion of payroll sheets and time accrual records for clerical staff
- Prepares routine statistical reports
- Assumes clerical duties in the event of a coverage need
- Assists in preparing capital and operating budgets
- Responsible for supervision of self-pay and co-pay cash collections
- Responsible for reconciliation and deposit of cash collections
- Supervises the follow positions in the ED: Lead Clerk, Registrar 1 and Ward Clerk 1
- Work closely and professionally with Nursing and Ancillary Departments in an effort to maintain teamwork approach
- Conduct monthly staff meetings and in-services for all responsible areas
- Supervise and maintain the productivity of employees
- Review the quality of patient registration documents on a daily basis
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care, based on physical, psychosocial, educational, safety, and related criteria, appropriate to the age of the patients served in assigned area
- Age Specific Competencies (Neonate/Infant, Pediatric, Adolescent, Adult, Geriatric)
- Identifies physical, behavioral and emotional characteristics typical for the age group
- Modifies approaches based on patient age-specific needs and responses to treatment
- Provides care for patients based on age-specific needs
- Uses communication techniques, which are age appropriate
- Participates in the department’s performance improvement activities
- Ensure QA on registrations for all areas of Registration Contribute to A/R goals for patient registration Prepare payroll and completes monthly work schedules as needed to ensure adequate staffing levels
- Work closely with fellow managers to ensure all procedures regarding patient accounts are completed in a thorough and timely manner
- Train new employees in all aspects of their assigned job
- Effectively manage and direct all areas of registration to ensure quality, productivity, and customer service
- Maintains patient/employee confidentiality in the management of information
- Observes the Health Care System’s compliance policies
- Responsible for ensuring that the clerical staff are knowledgeable and compliant with EMTALA, JCAHO and other city, state and federal regulations
- Develops, monitors and revises performance standards for clerical staff based on departmental goals
- Hires, trains, supervises, evaluates and disciplines clerical staff based on performance standards
- Ensures accurate and timely registration of patients by continuous quality monitoring of clerical staff work product
- Ensures appropriate processing of admissions including monitoring bed availability and representing the ED in issues pertaining to bed access
- Sets standards, monitors and ensures timely and accurate processing of charts through Medical Records and Professional Billing
- Maximizes patient satisfaction by ensuring professionalism and customer service skills of ED clerical staff including phone etiquette and registration interactions
- Develops and enhances E.D. position on the continuum of care by training, monitoring, facilitating and evaluating staff interactions with managed care providers, private Attending Physicians and other health care agencies
- Assures appropriate 24 hour per day clerical coverage by effectively scheduling and covering sick calls
- Utilizes effective time resource management and staff motivation to reduce labor costs without compromising patient care
- Monitors lateness and absenteeism of clerical staff and takes appropriate disciplinary actions
- Participates in the development of other staff members
- Meets regulatory, licensure and annual health assessment requirements
- Identifies learning strengths and needs
- Demonstrates a professional, courteous, and respectful attitude in dealing with Staff, patients, families and significant others
- Displays courtesy, tact and patience during interactions with all members of the hospital staff and extended community
- Holds monthly clerical staff meetings and maintains accurate minutes of the meetings
- Adheres to Mount Sinai Health System legal and ethical standards
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required/Master’s preferred.
- 2 years’ experience in a professional, supervisory and analytical role ideally in a hospital setting required
- Ability to develop, monitor and implement Emergency Department goals, policies and procedures.
- Previous experience setting performance standards, training, evaluation, and disciplining non-clinical Emergency Department staff required.
- Must have strong writing and word processing skills as well as basic knowledge of statistical analysis.
- Ability to lift/move patients and heavy objects up to 50 pounds with or without reasonable accommodations required.
- There is the
potential for exposure to pathogens and contaminants requiring appropriate
understanding and proper use of personal protective equipment and universal
Do you share our dedication to extraordinary service and have what it takes to wear the badge? Apply now!
Over 35,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is committed to the tenets of diversity and workforce that are strengthened by the inclusion of and respect for our differences. We offer our employees a highly competitive compensation and benefits package, a 403(b) retirement plan, and much more.
The Mount Sinai
Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and
respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our
employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background,
or sexual orientation.
Bachelor’s degree required Master's preferred.
EXPERIENCES AND/OR SKILLS REQUIRED
Requires 2 years, professional, supervisory and analytical skills to develop, monitor and implement Emergency Department goals, policies and procedures. Requires managerial skills necessary to set performance standards, train, evaluate and discipline non-clinical Emergency Department staff. Must have strong writing and word processing skills as well as basic knowledge of statistical analysis. Supervisory experience required.
JOB HAZARDS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The Emergency Department is a fast paced, physically demanding and frequently psychosocially stressful environment. The position is accountable 24 hours a day, seven days per week. The employee must be prepared to lift/move patients and heavy objects with or without reasonable accommodations. There is the potential for exposure to pathogens and contaminants requiring appropriate understanding and proper use of personal protective equipment and universal precautions. The position requires the incumbent be able to lift heavy boxes up to 50 pounds and assist in moving patients.