Mount Sinai Careers
Medical Assistant/Relations Associate
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Mount Sinai Doctors Downtown Greenwich Street (Wall Street Area) – Ambulatory – Requisition – 74685
Job Title: Medical Assistant / Relations Associate
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for effectively and efficiently providing patient procedures as ordered by the physician under the guidance of licensed medical staff (LPN, RN, NP or MD)
- Provides clerical support necessary for efficient and effective functioning of the office
- Assures that the delivery of patient care is consistent with the philosophy of Beth Israel Medical Group
- Performs EKGs as ordered by the physician
- Performs lab testing as ordered by the physician
- Performs PFT as ordered by the physician
- Performs audiometry as ordered by the physician
- Admits patient to the exam room and takes vital signs, height and weight, medical history, medication history and allergy history
- Performs quality controls
- Adheres to laboratory procedures as required by CLIA regulations
- Ensures that the patient referrals are completed and forwarded appropriately
- Documents appropriately any treatment
- Documents any telephone contact with the patient
- Documents in the lab accession log and outside medical testing log as per established procedure
- Documents completed daily checks, i.e.: oxygen, emergency box, etc. as assigned
- Adheres to universal precautions and OSHA Regulations
- Maintains examination rooms and medical areas in a clean and orderly fashion
- Stocks examination room with supplies
- Checks supplies from vendors against packing slips as assigned
- Puts supplies away as assigned
- Maintains professionalism at all times
- Ensures that patients and visitors are greeted promptly and courteously
- Registers and transacts patients promptly and accurately using current computer system
- Updates pertinent patient information, including medical insurance coverage and eligibility
- Ensures that all patients’ names appear on daily ledger sheets
- Schedules patient appointments
- Retrieves and files medical reports/lab results
- Maintains the patient waiting room and front desk area
- Processes HMO referrals as requested by Physician, Practice Management, and patients
- Communicates to Physician all patient emergencies
- Answers telephones with name and Beth Israel Medical Group office location
- Takes messages to ensure follow-up on all calls
- Files and maintains file units
- Balances ledger sheets and accounts for all monies received
- Has accountability for all aspects of the cash box and the contents within
- Notifies Office Administrator or Reimbursement/Front Office Coordinator when change is needed
- Provides information to other departments as requested
- Provides assistance with uncovered shifts
- Confirms appointments
- Notifies Practice Manager or Office Manager of any problems in the office
- Notifies Practice Manager or Office Manager when office supplies are needed
- Calls insurance companies to verify coverage and eligibility
- Forwards to specialty offices all information pertinent to scheduled appointments; i.e., labs, referrals, ex-rays, etc.
- Adheres to Beth Israel Medical Group policies and procedures
- Maintains patient/employee confidentiality
- Complies with Corporate Compliance/Code of Conduct
- Demonstrates a professional, courteous and respectful attitude in dealing with patients, staff, families and significant others
- Displays courtesy, tact and patience with all members of the hospital staff and extended community
- Ensures that all patients and visitors receive personalized prompt attention and are treated with receptiveness, dignity and respect
- Provides instructions to the patient upon discharge as per instructed by the physicians and signs the superbill as per discharge procedure
- Notifies patients of test results via telephone following review and instruction by the physician. Documents same
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned
What You’ll Bring:
- High school diploma or general education diploma (GED) required.
- Certification as a Medical Assistant or two (2) years relevant work experience preferred.
- Excellent phone manners, flexibility, knowledge of computer data entry and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to handle diversified responsibility in fast-paced environment.
Do you share our dedication to extraordinary service and have what it takes to wear the badge? Apply now!
Over 35,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is committed to the tenets of diversity and workforce that are strengthened by the inclusion of and respect for our differences. We offer our employees a highly competitive compensation and benefits package, a 403(b) retirement plan, and much more.
The Mount Sinai Health
System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and
respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our
employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background,
or sexual orientation.