Mount Sinai Careers
Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
1. Responsible for the day to day operations of the Coding functions for MSDUS Administration
2. Directs the activities related to the receipt, assembly, coding, and abstracting of medical records
3. Oversees coordination of coding and DRG review program
4. Provides guidance and direction to subordinate and supervisory personnel, ensuring their compliance to the policies and procedures, goals and objectives of the department
5. Monitors workflow to ensure the timelines and efficiency in processing discharged records
6. Regulates the accuracy of the coding abstracting, and data entry of discharged medical records
7. Oversee and perform audits for practices within MSDUS
8. Assess risks during audits for each practice
9. Evaluates employee productivity and conduct audits to ensure that the existing standards are met
10. Communicates with the Patient Financial Services and Central Billing Office and superiors the outstanding accounts for inpatient, ambulatory and emergency department cases
11. Communicates and respond to physicians and other departments regarding coding and DRG issues as they pertain to coding and reimbursement
12. Maintains coding guidelines for the unit to ensure coding quality and uniformity
13. Oversees coordination of coding and DRG review program and ensures compliance with State, Federal and regulatory requirements
14. Provides META generated reports for research projects and educational studies
15. Recommends medical record/coding software modifications
16. Oversees the receipt and distribution of the service schedules used to assign physician deficiencies
Age Specific Competencies (Neonate/Infant, Pediatric, Adolescent, Adult, Geriatric)
a. Identifies physical, behavioral and emotional characteristics typical for the age group.
b. Modifies approaches based on patient age-specific needs and responses to treatment.
c. Provides care for patients based on age-specific needs.
d. Uses communication techniques, which are age appropriate.
17. Participates in the department’s performance improvement activities
18. Maintains patient/employee confidentiality in the management of information
19. Observes the Health Care System’s compliance policies
20. Develops Generates and Analyzes Unit productivity reports
21. Participates in and contributes to management meetings
22. Ensures unit equipment is properly maintained and monitors supplies
23. Interviews, recommends hiring, orients, trains, evaluates the performance of and, when necessary, recommends discipline of subordinates
24. Assists in the review and revision of departmental policy and procedures
25. Maintains payroll, timesheets and department employee file information
26. Reviews work assignments, establish priorities and prepare work schedules ensuring effective utilization of time
C. Educational/Professional Development
27. Participates in the development of other staff members
28. Meets regulatory, licensure and annual health assessment requirements
29. Identifies learning strengths and needs
30. Utilizes learning resources
31. Directly supervises a staff
32. Demonstrates a professional, courteous, and respectful attitude in dealing with staff, doctors, and patients
33. Displays courtesy, tact and patience during interactions with all members of the hospital staff and extended community
34. Demonstrates a professional, courteous, and respectful attitude in dealing with Director, Vice President and other managers in the department
35. Adheres to Mount Sinai’s legal and ethical standards
36. May be required to perform other duties as assigned
Items 1-35 are essential functions of this position under the Americans with Disabilities Act
Mount Sinai Hospital is committed to the tenets of diversity and workforce that is strengthened by the inclusion of and respect for our differences
BS or Associate’s Degree Preferred
EXPERIENCES AND/OR SKILLS REQUIRED
Knowledge of ICD-10-CM , CPT-4, HCPCS, reimbursement and DRG optimization/ validation. Should be apprised of fiscal intermediary and regulatory agency regulations for coding and hospital reimbursement. Knowledge of medical record principles, basic management theory and statistics at a level normally acquired through completion of a Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree in Medical Record Science or other related field with additional training in medical records. Must be proficient in Joint Commission, State and PRO standards regarding the requirements for a “complete” medical record. Approximately 2-3 years of progress responsibility related to the coding aspects of medical records. Analytical skills necessary in order to plan and prepare work schedules and determine work priorities. Knowledge of PC applications such as Microsoft office products.
CPC – Certified Professional Coder Required
CRC – Certified Risk-Adjustment Coder preferred
RRA, ART, and /or CCS preferred
JOB HAZARDS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Bending, lifting, reaching, stepping. May be expected to lift heavy loads (i.e.: medical records) in excess of 20 lbs.