Mount Sinai Careers
Clinical Laboratory Technologist - Blood Bank - Per Diem
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Perform technical and clerical functions and duties necessary for achieving the department’s objective. The Blood Bank’s objective is to serve optimally as a provider of blood products and/or diagnostic test results necessary in support of the practice of Transfusion Medicine.
- Verification of patient name, medical records number, and date of birth on specimen and test request slip
- ABO and Rh typing and Antibody Screening
- Daily quality control of reagents
- Resolution of blood grouping discrepancies
- Perform compatibility testing in accordance with current approved procedures
- Perform high complexity testing, e.g., antibody identification, titration, elution, etc.
- Prepare blood for Organ Transplantation, Surgical Cases, Inpatient, and Outpatient transfusions
- Perform procedures necessary to separate and preserve the various components of whole blood
- Logging in all blood components in accordance with current approved procedures
- Preparation of special products, component modification, and label verification
- Assist the supervisor in the quality control of Reagents, Equipment (heating blocks, centrifuges, refrigerators, etc.), and Blood Components
- Performs and reports assigned analytical tests, including high complexity tests on biological specimens, in a timely, efficient, and accurate manner in compliance with documented laboratory procedures.
- Maintains a safe and efficient working environment by performing equipment checks, cleaning work area, and monitoring temperatures in accordance with regulatory agencies and hospital policies.
- Enters test results into the Laboratory Information System for standardized report to be generated for physicians review and interpretation.
- Informs appropriate personnel of department supply needs ensuring uninterrupted testing.
- Attends various meetings regarding safety and quality control issues to keep informed of current lab and hospital safety policies
- Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology or related field
- NY State DOE Clinical Laboratory Technologist