Mount Sinai Careers
Clinical Laboratory Technologist - Blood Bank - Full Time Night
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Performs basic, routine and advanced diagnostic procedures for the isolation and identification of microbial pathogens from clinical specimens. In each specialized area, the technologist must maintain in-depth knowledge of techniques, principles and instrumentation, as well as the physiological conditions affecting test results. Maintains familiarity with the various testing procedures done in a laboratory. In addition, conducts or assists in special projects, evaluates new products and instrumentation and performs quality control measures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Performs and reports assigned analytical tests, including high complexity tests on biological specimens, in a timely, efficient, and accurate manner in compliance with documented laboratory procedures.
2. Determines acceptability of specimens by performing visual inspections or by recognizing abnormal/unusual results. Documents unacceptable specimens according to appropriate policy. Communicates specimen requirements to appropriate personnel.
3. Maintains QA policies and procedures to ensure validity of results. Recognizes factors that affect measurements and results and takes appropriate action according to predetermined protocols. Performs quality control for all testing and meets established ranges before patient results are released.
4. Maintains a safe and efficient working environment by performing equipment checks, cleaning work area, and monitoring temperatures in accordance with regulatory agencies and hospital policies. Recognizes and troubleshoots malfunctions
- NYSDOH Licensure
- BS with Experience in Blood Banking preferred