Mount Sinai Careers
Medical Office Specialist
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Dept- PACC GI INTERNAL MEDICINE PRACTICE Req #74910
A. Clinical / Technical / Service
1. Performs various duties as a member of the health team in the treatment and care of patient and their families and also assists with tasks to support the unit
2. Monitors patient flow in waiting room and resolves patient flow issues related to registration and post-visit processing
3. Provides set-up of examination room and instruments in accordance with proper sterilization techniques established by hospital and infection control policies.
4. Takes and monitors vital signs, including fetal heart rate if necessary
5. Performs phlebotomy, point of care testing, and other procedures as indicated by physician order, including but not limited to echocardiogram, pulmonary function test, phototherapy.
6. Assists with medical procedures as required, i.e., sigmoidoscopies, proctoscopy, nasal scope, colposcopy, biopsies, LEEP, laser and cystoscopy;
7. Sets up oxygen and suction
8. Translates as needed
9. Performs vision and hearing screening
10. Prepares prescription refill requests on behalf of the physician for the review and approval by the ordering physician.
11. Participates and supports the health team in the direct patient care under the supervision of an RN/LPN
12. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of human growth and development over the life span, ability to recognize data reflective of the patient’s status and inform the RN/LPN of observations
13. Inventories, orders or re-stocks medical supplies; monitors expiration dates on all medications and medical supplies disposing appropriately as per institution policy.
14. Maintains logging system as required for refrigeration of medications, point of care testing, sterilization process, crash cart, point of care testing or others as needed.
15. Performs routine maintenance/cleaning of equipment and instruments; Notifies appropriate personnel regarding any malfunction in equipment
16. Maintains a safe, secure, and healthy work environment by following standards and procedures; complies with legal regulations.
17. Complies with established personal protective equipment requirements necessary for protection against exposure to blood and other potentially infections body fluids, chemical disinfectants, radiation and other hazardous substances.
18. Acts rapidly and calmly during emergencies, initiates CPR and provides the necessary items called for by the team
19. Transports patients and equipment as needed
20. Performs any and all duties involving direct patient care as assigned by the RN/LPN within the framework of the New York State Nurse Practice Act and MSHS Policy and Procedures
21. Documents in medical record / electronic medical record as required by hospital policy
22. Complies with hospital and departmental policies and procedures
23. Provides and promotes unit safety
24. Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care, based on physical, psychosocial, educational, safety, and related criteria, appropriate to the age of the patients served in assigned area
25. Greets and registers patients, prepares and processes appropriate forms, directs patients to appropriate areas and arranges transportation needs.
26. Schedules appointments and completes pre-registration using computerized system(s) with accountability for the integrity of the data, including all patient demographics and insurance information.
27. Fulfills clerical responsibilities as assigned using the electronic medical record (EMR) system or manually as necessary, to include: sending and receiving patient medical records; obtaining lab/x-ray reports, hospital notes, referral information, etc.
28. Performs routine cash collections at time of service.
29. Completes forms and requisitions as needed, managing charts to ensure information is completed and filed appropriately. Assists in the maintenance of medical charts (filing, Operative Reports, test results, home care forms).
30. Retrieves lab, pathology and diagnostics data from the computer system as well as retrieval of OR reports
31. Check and verify and update insurance information utilizing internal or electronic sources.
32. Obtains and documents managed care referrals, required pre-certifications and authorizations as necessary.
33. Support surgical or procedure scheduling in conjunction with Surgical Coordinator or other similar role(s) verifying times with patients; preparing charts, pre-admissions and consent forms.
34. Requires a working knowledge of New York State third party payer eligibility requirements for private and hospital billing
35. Utilizes and understands basic medical terminology; able to complete visit encounter forms and enters ICD10-CM and CPT information into computerized systems as appropriate
36. Assists in training, orientation and education of entry level and or/float staff
37. Demonstrates the ability to set priorities and organize work. Reports and resolves problems effectively. Identifies and reports staffing problems to appropriate manager or administrator
38. Performs miscellaneous clerical duties such as collecting data, filing, batching encounter forms, etc.
39. Demonstrates excellent customer service skills exhibited by courtesy, cooperative spirit and tact when interacting with employees, patients and visitors
Age Specific Competencies (Neonate/Infant, Pediatric, Adolescent, Adult, Geriatric)
a. Identifies physical, behavioral and emotional characteristics typical for the age group
b. Modifies approaches based on patient age-specific needs and responses to treatment
c. Provides care for patients based on age-specific needs
d. Uses communication techniques which are age appropriate
40. Participates in the department’s performance improvement activities
41. Maintains patient/employee confidentiality in the management of information
42. Observes the Health Care System’s compliance policies
43. Actively participates in unit staff meetings when on duty
44. Assists with the orientation of new employees
45. Participates in CQI projects as directed by the nurse manager
C. Educational/Professional Development
46. Participates in the development of other staff members
47. Meets regulatory, licenser and annual health assessment requirements
48. Identifies learning strengths and needs
49. Utilizes learning resources
50. Demonstrates a professional, courteous, and respectful attitude in dealing with patients, families and significant others
51. Displays courtesy, tact and patience during interactions with all members of the hospital staff and extended community
52. Notifies appropriate staff of patient’s status
53. Helps to maintain a quiet, therapeutic and clean environment Adheres to Continuum’s legal and ethical standards
54. May be required to perform other duties as assigned
Items 1-39 are essential functions of this position under the Americans with Disabilities Act
Mount Sinai Health System is committed to the tenets of diversity and workforce that is strengthened by the inclusion of and respect for our differences
High School Diploma/GED BLS CERTIFICATION.
Certification as a Medical Assistant from an approved school or two years of experience working as a medical assistant.
Licensed/Credentialed as a Phlebotomist or EKG technician preferred.
EXPERIENCES AND/OR SKILLS REQUIRED
Proficient in medical terminology and HIPAA guidelines
Ability to handle multiple priorities and to deal calmly with individuals under stress.
Ability to organize the activities of multiple patients.
Effective interpersonal and communications skills required
Excellent telephone etiquette
Ability to communicate effectively with multicultural and language-deficit patients
Knowledge of electronic medical record or billing systems preferred, but not required.
Must be able to adapt to a growing and changing environment