Mount Sinai Careers
Patient Care Associate - (Mount Sinai West) NURSING 9A M-S RVT P/T Nights
Strength Through Diversity
The Patient Care Associate is responsible for patient care and support activities promoting patient focused care with the Specialty Service. The patient care associate supports the registered nurse in patient care activities, such as: assisting patient with activities of daily living, collecting specimens and performing procedures; maintaining a safe, clean environment, and other duties as assigned.
What You’ll Do:
- Demonstrates the ability to perform clinical /technical/service administrative tasks.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care, based on physical, psychosocial, educational, safety, and related criteria, appropriate to the age of the patients served in assigned area.
- Performs and records patient’s vital signs, such as blood pressure, pulse, temperature and respirations. Documents intake and output and other data as assigned
- Obtains patient’s rating on pain scales as a fifth vital sign in all areas except Pediatrics
- Performs clinical procedures, such as specimen collection, venipuncture, EKG, application of compression devices, post-mortem care, and maintenance of skin integrity. Sets up for selected procedures and assists RN’s accordingly.
- Assists patient with activities of daily living, such as feeding, bathing and/or toileting. Orients Patients to clinical environment. Assists patient with ambulation and all levels of mobilization
- Assists with dietary functions, including delivering and collecting patient trays at bedside, passing menus to patients and assisting them with menu completion, mixing nutritional supplements, reporting variation in eating patterns to RN/Dietitian, and maintaining accurate and timely systems for transmission of patient dietary orders and changes
- Maintains a safe, clean and functional environment, including ensuring for the comfortable Movement of the patient. Assists the patient in room maintenance, such as bed-stripping and trash removed, when necessary
- High School Diploma (graduate or equivalent). Certificate of completion of a medical assistant/patient care assistant with skills in venipuncture and EKG.
- BLS Certification - American Heart Association.
Experience and/or Skills Required:
- Interpersonal skills to communicate and collaborate effectively with other members of the Specialty Service.
- Documentation of Medical Assistant/Patient Care Associate training
- Three to nine months of healthcare experience preferred
- Ability to set priorities, problem solve, use proper judgement in difficult situations and be flexible
- Sufficient oral and writing skills in the English language in order to communicate effectively
- Physical stamina and manual dexterity to perform a variety of tasks and skills in the area of assignment.