Mount Sinai Careers
Medical Assistant/Health Coach - Atlantic City, NJ
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Unite Here Health, Atlantic City, NJ – Primary Care – Requisition 75086
Job Title: Medical Assistant/Health Coach – Atlantic City, NJ
The Mount Sinai Health System and UNITE HERE HEALTH (UHH) are collaborating to build a better primary care model and have a positive impact on the UniteHere Local 54 union community.
UHH built a health center to provide high quality care for the unionized hospitality industry workers for whom it provides health benefits. This health center is located in downtown Atlantic City, NJ.
Mount Sinai and UHH want to focus on keeping patients healthy at home, and to help patients avoid expensive and unpleasant ED visits and hospital admissions. In this new model, providers, nurses, and health coaches will work as a team alongside mental health specialists to address the many different needs a patient may have. Health coaches will also work with the pharmacy, lab, x-ray and physical therapy services that are on site at the UHH health center to help patients access other services as needed.
Together, we believe that there is a better way of delivering care that can make healthcare more fulfilling experience for both providers and patients. We are looking for team members to help build this future.
Roles & Responsibilities:
Collaborates with the UHH
clinic team to help actively engage a panel of approximately 500 patients and
co-develop and facilitate the implementation of customized care plans.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with physicians to manage a group of approximately 500 patients, creating and managing customized care plans for patients
- Communicate with patients using a variety of methods, both in person (individually or in groups) and by telephone, text, or email
- Empower and motivate patients to improve their health through counseling, motivational interviewing, coaching, and education
- Educate patients on chronic disease management (Health Coaches will be trained on how to do this – previous experience not required)
- Communicate with the patient’s care team (which may include physicians, behavioral health specialists, and other types of providers) about patient progress and needs
- Help coordinate the care that patients receive across a variety of sites (including home care, outpatient care, ER care, and hospital care) while maintaining strict patient confidentiality at all times
- Assist with appointments at the Health Center by rooming patients, taking vitals, and understanding why a patient has come for an appointment
- Admits patient to the exam room and takes vital signs, height and weight, medical history, medication history and allergy history
- Serve as a positive example and representative of the organization both internally and externally to help build a practice environment and culture of collaboration, respect, learning, flexibility and fun among all team members
What You’ll Bring:
- High school diploma or general education diploma (GED) required
- Medical Assistant certification or experience preferred
- Must have customer service experience, preferably in healthcare, hospitality/food service industry, or education field
- Bilingual Spanish, Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese), Gujarati, Hindi, or Bengali preferred
- Must be willing to accommodate non-traditional hours ranging from 7:00 am – 7:30 pm on weekdays, occasional weekend hours, and potentially after hours calls on a rotating basis (schedules to be provided in advance)
- Must be open-minded, non-judgmental, compassionate, and be able to work with patients from many different cultures
- Must be able to establish and maintain strong relationships with patients based on mutual respect and trust
- Must be able to motivate and empower patients to make positive lifestyle changes
- Must have strong communication and listening skills
- Must be creative and have excellent problem-solving skills
- Must have strong organizational and time management skills
- Must be interested in learning new skills
- Must have proficiency in computer skills and be able to learn to use new software programs (such as an electronic medical record)
- Experience working with low-income immigrant communities and/or unions a plus
Do you share our dedication to extraordinary service and have what it takes to wear the badge? Apply now!
Over 35,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is committed to the tenets of diversity and workforce that are strengthened by the inclusion of and respect for our differences. We offer our employees a highly competitive compensation and benefits package, a 403(b) retirement plan, and much more.
The Mount Sinai Health
System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and
respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our
employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background,
or sexual orientation.