Mount Sinai Careers
Executive Director - Psychiatry - Full Time/Days
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Job Title: Executive Director
Roles & Responsibilities:
The Executive Director of the Department of Psychiatry at Mount Sinai St. Luke’s and Mount Sinai West (MSSLW) is responsible for the overall administrative, operational and fiscal performance of the Department. The Executive Director, under the direction of the Site Chair, helps develop and implements all operational and strategic plans for the Department, and represents the Department as the chief administrator across the hospitals and with external parties. S/he reports directly to the Site Chair of MSSLW, and matrixed to System Behavioral Health leadership.
1. Leads and oversees the daily administrative, operational and financial operations and the overall performance of the Behavioral Health services at MSSLW.
a. Services include:
i. All inpatient, emergency, CL, and outpatient psychiatry services
ii. All inpatient, outpatient, and residential addictions services
iii. Faculty Practice and all Faculty affairs
iv. All Research activity
v. All Education and Training Activity
2. Ensures the provision of safe, high quality care in the Department, in collaboration with the Chair and Division leaders by ensuring a safe physical environment and optimal administrative processes to support clinical care
3. Responsible for the financial performance of the Department
a. Maintains effective and accurate operating budget and ensures accurate cost accounting principles are used
b. Ensures fiscally responsible expense management
c. Routinely reviews and reports on Budget vs Actual performance, and proactively addresses potential budget variance issues
d. Ensures accurate and timely submission of all budgets both within the hospital and with state contracted services
e. Works with Finance and with external agencies to properly oversee the financial stewardship of all city/state/federal special contracted programs
4. Oversees all clinical revenue collections including assuring effective and accurate oversight and monitoring for all revenue sources
a. Assures oversight and optimal performance of Department revenue cycle activities in conjunction with Finance
b. Implements strategies to ensure the financial sustainability of the service
c. Develops systems and processes so that the Department is operationally prepared for a managed care/capitated/risk-based reimbursement system
5. Oversees all matters related to Faculty affairs, and collaborates effectively with the Icahn School of Medicine leadership and System BH leadership
6. Develops, refines, and implements administrative and business policies and procedures for the Behavioral Health Services, and ensures adherence to such policies and procedures
7. Oversees and directs all administrative and operational risk management activity
8. Oversees program planning and evaluation activities within the Department. Develops annual evaluative criteria in conjunction with System and Hospital goals, and then measures the performance of services and programs
9. Oversees systems for data collection and reporting of Department activity to ensure compliance with external requirements and internal reporting needs
10. Ensures compliance with TJC, CMS, NYS DOHMH/OMH/OASAS, DEA, and other regulatory agencies as required, in collaboration with the Chair and Division leaders
11. Develops and fosters effective collaboration between different levels of care and programs within Department, as well as with other divisions within the Department and the System to ensure an integrated approach to providing services, and fulfilling clinical, research and educational goals and objectives.
12. Works with administrators and executives throughout the hospital, serving as a resource to help reduce costs, enhance revenues, achieve effective utilization and quality goals and objectives, analyze and utilize information to develop and support management decisions
13. Communicates key information to the stakeholders of other hospital and system departments with respect to managed care, marketplace needs, the competitive environment, cost management, and customer-focused programs and services specific to the Behavioral Health services
14. Develops new business strategies to enhance market share and improve overall performance
15. Serves as a lead representative and liaison for the Department in any and all matters related to campus-based contracting, regulations, new initiatives, and other areas as needed, both within the System and with external agencies
16. Participates with the Hospital and System BH executive team in developing goals and objectives consistent with mission, vision and philosophy; guides this process for direct reports.
17. Contributes to the vision, mission, strategic plan of the System BH Service Line, and is accountable for the standards of care and practice
18. Effectively organizes and leads all administrative staff
19. Effectively leads and supervises all direct reports, and directs all Services staff through effective leadership and management of direct reports
20. Supervises and evaluates work performance of direct report staff members providing on-going feedback
21. Conducts regular administrative meetings with direct reports and staff to facilitate communication, identify problems and assist in problem resolution
22. Insure establishment and maintenance of management structure promoting efficient oversight of operation, program planning, communication among staff and between departments, dissemination of information and timely response to issues raised in same
23. Oversees all hiring and labor relations issues for the Services
24. Provides direction and support to management level staff, providing assistance when needed in efforts to accomplish program/project specific goals
25. Addresses proactively all employee-related performance issues
26. Implements and maintains established hospital policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control
27. Ensures Services’ participation in and completion of quality assurance/performance improvement activities
28. Oversees and collaborates with Ancillary Departments re: care and maintenance of department facilities, equipment and supplies
29. Coordinates and manages construction projects for the Department as necessary
30. Assures all staff including providers are trained in required electronic systems, and maintenance of competency
B. Educational/Professional Development
31. Participates in the development of other staff members
32. Meets regulatory, licensure and annual health assessment requirements
33. Identifies learning strengths and needs
34. Utilizes learning resources
35. Participates in professional activities and maintains professional affiliations to keep abreast of current trends/changes and legislation in the field
36. Maintains and updates skills and knowledge
37. Models effective communication styles both verbally and in written format
38. Models and maintains a customer service focus demonstrating a respectful and helpful manner
39. Follows up on customer needs and requests promptly and appropriately
40. Demonstrates a professional, courteous, and respectful attitude in dealing with patients, families and significant others
41. Displays courtesy, tact and patience during interactions with all members of the hospital staff and extended community
42. Attends required meetings and participates on committees as required/requested
43. Adheres to Mount Sinai Health System’s legal and ethical standards
44. May be required to perform other duties as assigned or perform other duties when necessary
· Bachelor’s and either professional licensure (ie, LCSW) and/or Master’s in health care (ie, MBA, MHA, MPH).
· Behavioral health expertise strongly preferred.
· 15 years minimum of senior administrative leadership experience (director level or higher), preferably in hospital-based settings and in behavioral health services
· Demonstrated excellence in senior-level administrative leadership, financial planning, budgeting, fore casting and revenue management. Knowledge of healthcare issues, regulations, and market dynamics required, with specific knowledge in Behavioral Health strongly preferred.
· Demonstrated evidence of success in fast-paced, performance-oriented environment, and ability to lead diverse teams.
· Exceptional communication, organizational, analytic and interpersonal skills required.
· Proven track record of business growth both new and organic
· Demonstrated track record of leading with integrity and respect
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.