Mount Sinai Careers
Supervising Technologist - Total Lab Automation - Full Time/Evenings
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Total Lab Automation – Job #75890
Job Title: Supervising Technologist
Roles & Responsibilities:
· Supervises microbiology technologists in the performance of their duties
· Directly responsible for keeping the Manager informed of all matters pertinent to timely and efficient laboratory operation in their area
· Reviews completed work leaving the laboratory
· Checks for compliance with approved procedures
· Ensures that mandatory Quality Control has been performed prior to reporting patient results
· Checks for accuracy and completeness of reports
· Supervises and ensures adequate inventory of reagents and supplies. Initiates timely ordering and follows up on order status
· Informs Microbiology Manager of any problem associated with ordering supplies, including the need to amend blanket orders.
· Supervises reagent dating, storage, and cross-over studies to ensure continuous availability of satisfactory reagents, standards, and controls
· Performs Quality Control on selected media and reagents. Documents deficiencies and takes corrective action
· Supervises pipette calibrations & instrument maintenance ensuring that accurate and complete records of maintenance, troubleshooting, and repairs are kept. Promptly contacts company repairpersons, discusses problems with them, and troubleshoots by telephone
· Schedules company repair persons in house in a timely fashion. Reports actual and impending instrument defects to the Microbiology Manager
· Records and monitors expenditures on a monthly basis
· Prepares monthly statistics for assigned areas
· Evaluates new products and equipment.
· Remains familiar with and enforces laboratory safety practices
· Meets criteria for competency assessment in all areas
· Reviews Outreach Reports as needed.
· Compiles data for area as need for cost-accounting and budgeting processes, as requested by the Microbiology Manager
· Supervises and ensures correct functioning of the laboratory quality control system in section
· Ensures that quality control actions are taken and documented in a timely fashion by the technical staff
· Checks for trends and accounts for and supervises the correction of problems
· Keeps the Microbiology Manager informed of actions and unresolved problems
· Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care, based on physical, psychosocial, educational, safety, and related criteria, appropriate to the age of the patients served in assigned area
· Participates in the department’s performance improvement activities
· Maintains patient/employee confidentiality in the management of information
· Supervises technical and support staff
· Routinely monitors performance of technologists
· Participates in yearly evaluation of technologists and support staff; may initiate and take part in disciplinary action
· Schedules all union personnel on all shifts, including work schedules, vacations, and overtime
· Responsible for overall coordination of shifts and daily workload flow. Prepares payroll
· Participates in the development of new methodology and analysis for research and clinical projects as needed
· Ensures that all failures on proficiency surveys are addressed and documented in a timely manner
· Ensures that corrective action are implemented
· Each Supervisor must know how to cover all supervisory sections
· Supervisors are responsible for covering each other when a Supervisor is out for any reason
· Specific supervisory areas will rotate as assigned by the Microbiology Manager
· Interviews prospective employees
· Conducts performance appraisals and takes disciplinary action, when necessary
C. Educational/Professional Development
· Participates in the development of other staff members.
· Meets regulatory, licensure and annual health assessment requirements.
· Identifies learning strengths and needs
· Trains new technologists, students, and pathology residents; keeps records of trainings
· Performs follow-up and prepares proficiency test results for assigned areas
· Maintains compliance with the policies, procedures, and recordkeeping necessary to meet the standards of accrediting regulatory agencies
· May write procedures and assist with manual revision and update
· Participates in in-service lectures and attends outside lectures to remain current
· May participate in research projects and publish papers
· Demonstrates a professional, courteous, and respectful attitude in dealing with patients, families and significant others
· Displays courtesy, tact and patience during interactions with all members of the hospital staff and extended community
· Responds to inquiries and complaints from physicians, other hospital personnel, and outside agencies
· Maintains good communication within all areas of Pathology
· Answers phones appropriately and monitors staff for compliance
· Adheres to Continuum’s legal and ethical standards
· May be required to perform other duties as assigned
· Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Technology required
· NYS Clinical Laboratory Technologist License required
· At least 5 years Laboratory experience
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.