Mount Sinai Careers
Medical Office Specialist
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Dept Name-PHILLIPS CLERICAL PER DIEM POOL REQ #76022
Title: Medical Office Specialist
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Monitors patient flow in waiting room and resolves patient flow issues related to registration and post-visit processing
- Provides set-up of examination room and instruments in accordance with proper techniques established by hospital and infection control policies.
- Takes and monitors vital signs, including fetal heart rate if necessary
- Performs phlebotomy, point of care testing, and other procedures as indicated by physician order, including but not limited to electrocardiogram and phototherapy
- Assists with procedures as necessary including but not limited to echocardiogram, sigmoidoscopy, proctoscopy, nasal scope, colposcopy, biopsy, LEEP, laser and cystoscopy
- Sets up oxygen and suction
- Performs vision screening
- Inventories, orders or re-stocks medical supplies; monitors expiration dates on all medications and medical supplies disposing appropriately as per institution policy
- Maintains logging system as required for refrigeration of medications, point of care testing, sterilization process, or others as needed
- Performs routine maintenance/cleaning of equipment and instruments; Notifies appropriate personnel regarding any malfunction in equipment
- Maintains a safe, secure, and healthy work environment by following standards and procedures; complies with legal regulations
- Complies with established personal protective equipment requirements necessary for protection against exposure to blood and other potentially infections body fluids, chemical disinfectants, radiation and other hazardous substances
- Acts rapidly and calmly during emergencies, initiates CPR and provides the necessary items called for by the team
- Transports patients and equipment as needed
- Performs any and all duties involving direct patient care as assigned by the RN/LPN within the framework of the New York State Nurse Practice Act and MSHS Policy and Procedures
- Documents in medical record / electronic medical record as required by hospital policy
- Greets and registers patients, prepares and processes appropriate forms, directs patients to appropriate areas and arranges transportation needs
- Screens incoming calls, takes and responds to messages, as well as responds to inquiries regarding department procedures, services and programs.
- Schedules appointments and completes pre-registration via telephone including insurance verification and full patient demographics collection over the telephone or in person using computerized system(s) with accountability for the integrity of the data, including all patient demographics and insurance information
- Fulfills clerical responsibilities as assigned using the electronic medical record (EMR) system or manually as necessary, to include: sending and receiving patient medical records; obtaining lab/x-ray reports, discharge summaries, referral information, etc.
- Performs routine cash collections at time of service.
- Completes forms and requisitions as needed, managing charts to ensure information is completed and filed appropriately. Assists in the creation and maintenance of medical charts.
- Retrieves lab, pathology and diagnostic testing, and operative reports and data from computer systems
- Checks, verifies and updates insurance information utilizing internal or electronic sources.
- Obtains and documents managed care referrals, required pre-certifications and authorizations as necessary
- Supports surgical or procedure scheduling in conjunction with Surgical Coordinator or other similar role(s) verifying times with patients; preparing charts, pre-admissions and consent forms
- Maintains a working knowledge of New York State third party payer eligibility requirements for private and hospital billing
- Utilizes and understands basic medical terminology; able to complete visit encounter forms and enters ICD10-CM and CPT information into computerized systems as appropriate
- Assists in training, orientation and education of entry level and or/float staff
High School Diploma/GED.
Certification as a Medical Assistant from an approved school or two years of experience working as a medical assistant.
Licensed/Credentialed as a Phlebotomist or EKG technician preferred.
· BLS Required
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.