Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Job Title: Certified Surgical Tech
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Protects the patient’s rights of privacy, person, and property and maintains confidentiality
- At all times
- Demonstrates the ability to perform clinical/technical/service/administrative tasks:
- Works safely and provides for the safety of patients and others
- Demonstrates understanding of operative procedures and skill in assisting the surgical team in the
- Scrub role
- Anticipates and meets needs of the surgical team, with demonstrated speed and manual dexterity
- Demonstrates careful handling and disposition of surgical specimens
- Maintains an organized sterile field
- Complies with policies regarding Implants, medication safety, counts and retained foreign bodies
- Selects, uses, decontaminate, reassemble, and sterilizes instruments and equipment, according
- To established departmental protocol
- Demonstrates ability to maintain and operate sterilizing apparatus
- Check that the equipment is in working order before the time out process takes place
- Applies principles of aseptic technique in setting up/maintaining a sterile field, limiting area of
- Contamination, detecting, reporting and correcting breaks in sterile technique
- Uses supplies appropriately, in a cost-effective manner
- Checks dates on supplies, restocks supplies and cleans cupboards
- Assists circulating nurse.
- Actively Participates in the TIME OUT process
- Uses technical skill in procedures such as skin preparation, draping , wound care, dressing and drains
- Assists in the safe transfer and positioning of patients according to accepted procedure.
- Make accurate and pertinent observations of the patient’s condition and reports to circulating RN/
- Charge RN
- Assists in maintenance of a safe, sanitary and orderly environment.
- Maintains correct flow of dirty and clean instruments in department , (sprays dirty instruments with enzymatic and places dirty trays in closed case carts and moves it to dirty elevator area )
- Uses knowledge of environmental hazards, such as anesthetic agents, mechanical, electrical, optical, and radiological equipment, to protect patients and prevent accidents
- Assists in preparation of the room for the next operation; EX. equipment, trays, soft and sharp supplies
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Cardiac / Open Heart experience preferred
- Graduation from Certified CST Training Program.
- NBSTSA certification.
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.