Mount Sinai Careers
Anesthesia Technologist - Full Time - Mount Sinai West
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Title: Anesthesia Technologist
Roles & Responsibilities:
Maintains and organizes the anesthesia environment, equipment, supplies and personnel to facilitate department functions. Is knowledgeable of JCAHO accreditation policies and procedures, sentinel events, National safety goals, environment of care and other JCAHO mandates directly relate
- Maintains the sterile supplies within the expiration date
- Inventories, orders and maintains departmental supply stock consistent with departmental demand. Cognizant of where supplies are kept and is able to obtain or stock them accordingly
- Maintains records of or has access to all preventative maintenance records
- Maintains material safety data sheets (MSDS) sheets on hazardous materials and latex allergy items for all supplies under anesthesia cognizance
- Maintains an inventory of equipment used by anesthesia to track repairs; loaners and demos. Conducts any quality controls needed to return such items after repair to service. Aids in the preparation of the capital budget for the department of anesthesia
- Provides training and orientation to staff and new personnel. The Cer.A.T.T. is expected to be the preceptor for AT and Cer.A.T.’s.
- Maintains pharmacy drugs within their expiration date and properly disposes of used drugs.
- Provides peri-operative technical support to the anesthesia professional staff for delivery of patient care.
- Is knowledgeable of the College of American Pathologists (CAP) requirements for ancillary laboratories
- Maintains the availability of necessary equipment in each operating room
- Prepares and assembles transducer lines and equipment necessary for invasive pressure monitoring as necessary or requested. Has a working knowledge of hemodynamic and can perform cardiac calculations
- Demonstrates detailed technical knowledge and troubleshooting ability for anesthesia delivery system, scavenger system, gas analyzer, EKG, pulse oximeter and rapid infusion devices
- Completes hospital annual competency checklist which may include Auto transfusion; Stat lab; ACT; Waste Gas Survey; laser safety; Bronchoscope cleaning and sterilization and transfusion administration
- Makes available, assembles, and assists with operation of specialized equipment such as humidification units; fiber optic endoscopic equipment; rapid infusion devices/blood warmers; patient warming devices; neuromuscular devices; infusion pumps and syringes; balloon pump initial setups and TEE setup
- Demonstrates speed and timeliness in all duties, particularly in preparation for emergencies and trauma procedures
- Assists anesthesia professional staff as requested:
- Assists in preparation and draping of patient for invasive monitoring/ procedures by licensed anesthesia providers
- Assists and anticipates needs of licensed anesthesia providers in invasive monitor insertion and procedures such as pulmonary artery catheter, central venous access, regional anesthesia, fiber optic intubation and is familiar with the ASA Difficult Airway Algorithm
- Anticipates need for invasive monitoring according to daily OR schedule
- Aids in preparation of patients for major invasive monitoring and/ or complex cases including but not limited to placement of BP cuff, ECG leads, Pulse Oximeter, positioning and prepping
- Sets up OR for cases according to licensing restrictions which may include the following: Preparation of laryngoscope and intubation equipment, IV solution and tubing set-up and set up of IV warming devices
- Completes EKG course and monitors EKG for dysrhythmias
- Assists licensed anesthesia providers with volume infusions as directed during intraoperative volume resuscitations
- Demonstrates dependability of participation in department technician call coverage
- Participates in a system to support and continually improve the quality of anesthesia services provided to patients and their families, fellow employees, physicians and other customers.
- Participates in departmental Quality Improvement and Risk Management Activities
- Assists in the development of action plans in response to professional staff feedback regarding improvement opportunities
- Participates in overtime coverage situations as reasonably requested
- Maintains current BCLS certification and possibly ACLS and PALS
- Participates in the development and continuous updating of departmental policies and procedures directly related to anesthesia technical staff and performance duties
- Provides Intraoperative Auto transfusion Services as requested for elective and emergency procedures.
- Participates dependably in call coverage for the provision of intraoperative auto transfusion services
- Prepares and assembles software and operates the auto transfusion equipment consistent with department policy and procedural guidelines
- Maintains cleanliness and preparation of auto transfusion equipment and supplies
- Maintains complete and accurate patient records for all procedures during which intraoperative auto transfusion is utilized
- Provides estimate of blood loss via auto transfusion unit and total volume rein fused
- Assists with monitoring and evaluation of auto transfusion service quality and effectiveness
- Provides laboratory services and fulfills CAP requirements.
- Performs all quality controls for Point of Care testing devices
- Performs cyclic CAP surveys for all machines under the anesthesia department
- Maintains supporting documentation and quality control documentation
- Maintains an authorized user list
- Trains and recertifies staff on use of equipment
- Promotes and maintains positive relationships with all contacts.
- Facilitates resolution of conflicts and problems as appropriate
- Promotes effective interpersonal and interdepartmental relationships as observed and reviewed by manager
- Adopts a team approach to work as observed by manager
- Maintains professional attitude when serving our patients, physicians, employees, and visitors
- Accepts and gives constructive feedback
- Demonstrates ability to communicate effectively and cooperates with all contacts. Complies with all department and hospital policies and procedures.
- High school diploma or GED Required
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience in Healthcare or Anesthesia Technician
- A graduate of an ASATT two-year approved program, preferred
- Certified Anesthesia Technician (Cer.A.T.) or Certified Anesthesia Technologist (CER.A.T.T) Certification is required within one year of employment
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We promote recognition and respect for individual and cultural differences, and we work to make our employees feel valued and appreciated, whatever their race, gender, background, or sexual orientation.