Mount Sinai Careers
Billing Coordinator/Senior Generalist
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
- Verifies insurance and registration data for scheduled office, outpatient, and inpatient encounters and scheduled surgeries; reviews encounter forms for accuracy. May be responsible for obtaining pre-certification for scheduled surgeries and admissions.
- Enters office, inpatient, and/or outpatient charges with accurate data entry of codes. Ensures charges are entered/processed in accordance with policies and procedures.
- May run and work missing charges, edits, denials list and process appeals. Posts denials in on a timely basis.
- Posts all payments in using approved methodologies.
- May perform specialty coding for services and medical office visits and review physician coding and provide updated to physicians and staff.
- Works TES, BAR and eCommerce edits for the division, department and physicians. Proficient in moderate to complex encounters and problematic accounts.
- Works daily Accounts Receivable accounts via online workfile and/or hard-copy reports; checks claims status, re-submits claims, and writes appeal letters.
- Researches unidentified checks sent to other departments.
- Works credit balance report to ensure adherence to government regulations/guidelines.
- Analyzes claims system reports to ensure underpayments are correctly identified and collected from key carriers. Reviews and resolves billing issues and provides recommendations.
- Identifies and resolves credentialing issues for department physicians.
- Meets with practice management, leadership and/or physicians on a scheduled basis to review Accounts Receivable and current billing concerns.
- Mentors less experienced Billing staff and assists Billing Manager/FPA Manager in training new staff.
- May approve work queue for outpatient encounters.
- May approve Patient Keeper work queue for inpatient encounters.
- May be responsible to prepare and verify office hours schedules.
- May be responsible for collection of time of service payments, and maintaining daily transaction record of collected payments.
- May prepare deposits in Sinai Central.
- Maintains working knowledge and currency in third party payor requirements.
- Associates Degree or high school diploma/GED plus 3 years of relevant experience
- 3 years experience in medical billing or health claims, with experience in billing systems in a health care or insurance environment, and familiarity with ICD/ coding
- License: N/A Certification: CPC Preferred