Mount Sinai Careers
Patient Care Associate - Geriatric/Adult Psychiatry - Part Time Night
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Functions as a member of a multidisciplinary team providing a full range of services to patients admitted to the inpatient psychiatry service
2. Participates in the patients admission and orientation to the inpatient unit
3. Responsible for assisting patients with changing; searching of patients; securing of valuables; review of unit rules and regulations and providing orientation to room and unit
4. Assists with preparation and updating of the Nursing Care Plan and Interdisciplinary Treatment Team Plan and assists with therapeutic interventions in order to implement the plans as established
5. Performs selected direct care duties including therapeutic intervention, taking of vital signs and other health related data (i.e., height, weight, etc.), simple dressing changes, sputum, blood and urine collection, urine testing, personal hygiene (i.e., feeding, bathing, shaving, dressing, etc.), and EKG’s
6. Assists with the provision of concrete services, i.e., transportation, obtaining clothes, check cashing, etc.
7. Leads and co-leads various patient activity groups both recreational and therapeutic in nature
8. Assists with the preparation and implementation of discharge plan, i.e., arranging transportation, maintaining contact with family/others, so as to facilitate the patient’s discharge
9. Assists with ADL skills
10. Acts as patient escort both on and off the Medical Center (i.e., radiology for tests, day treatment and residential programs, Bellevue Court, recreational patient outings as ordered by MD, etc.)
11. Maintains an assigned patient caseload providing ongoing supportive counseling to both the patient and family
High School Diploma- or GED required
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to organize the activities of multiple patients. Mature, responsible, non-judgmental individual with a demonstrated interest in working with the mentally ill. Ability to function in a team approach.