Mount Sinai Careers
Senior Director, Ambulatory Care - Mount Sinai St. Luke's
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Responsible for providing leadership, direction, management, and administration of operations to ensure accomplishment of objectives under the direction the Vice President of Ambulatory Operations. Oversees operations of approximately 30 individual hospital based programs and 18 FPA practices.
- Directs, supervises, and coordinates all administrative functions and activities of the ambulatory clinics including practice standards and operational policies and procedures, in accordance with standards established by institutional, governmental and other regulatory bodies.
- Contributes to the development of division's mission, goals, policies and procedures, budget, work standards in coordination with the departmental clinical and administrative leadership and the direction of the Vice President. Assists the VP in developing and marketing new ambulatory care services as requested.
- Assists in the selection, employment, development, and management of employees. Responsible for personnel policies and practices. Provides oversight of the performance appraisal process, disciplinary action, and interactions with the union. Attend administrative labor grievances as requested.
- Ensures the development and delivery of required staff training using a competency- based assessment program. Evaluate and develop staff based on job-specific competencies. Evaluates how staff resources are allocated to support business activities and revenue cycle initiatives.
- Coordinates with senior management on monitoring clinical activities to ensure cost-effective, high-quality health care for patients consistent with the mission and resources of the hospital.
- Manage agreement and monitor operations for both external and internal call centers for hospital based clinics and faculty practices. Review and when needed generate daily/weekly/monthly analytical reports for all call center metrics including but not limited to; wait time, hold time, call length, work vs unavailable mode, call volume and next available appointments.
- Facilitates Departmental and Hospital Position Control analysis and justifications for VP weekly/monthly. Be able to fill in for VP at Position Control meetings.
- Evaluates, monitors, provides oversight and makes recommendations for registration, EMR, billing, insurance verification and cash reconciliation IT programs. Create, implement and maintain process maps to improve patient/provider work flow in all Ambulatory practices.
- Accountable for analyzing, distributing, monitoring, maintaining and meeting/setting goals for patient satisfaction scores for Ambulatory practices.
- Responsible for coordination of monthly variance/accruals, budget/FTE analysis and yearly budget submission for all departments under VP
- Interacts with medical and administrative staff to ensure compliance with standards and regulations, to include The Joint Commission, NYS/NYC Department of Health, Prenatal Care Assistance Program and the Department of Health AIDS Institute.
- Reviews and interprets operational problems/policies to practice managers. Resolves problems and recommends change to the Vice President.
- Assist as needed, with coordinating payor credentialing/recredentialing for Ambulatory physicians as well maintaining/updating payor panel sizes.
- Works collaboratively with all departments under VP regarding capital budgets. Contributes to capital selection process to ensure purchases support operations and growth.
- Recommends clinic facility improvements including construction, renovation and purchase of equipment. Works collaboratively with facilities staff in analyzing space allocation and facility resources to support operations. Contributes operational insight into decisions regarding short and long term space requirements.
- Interprets clinic and departmental policies, objectives and operational procedures to practice managers. Resolves problems related to staffing, utilization of facilities, equipment and supplies.
- Coordinate with the Health Information Management department on medical records management, storage, and facilitation of information throughout the medical record.
- Collaborate with leadership of Central Billing Office and Patient Financial Services on revenue cycle initiatives and operational processes with a financial impact for ambulatory areas reporting to VP. This includes but not limited to; denials, medical necessity write offs, visits/payments, billing WIP and POS cash collections amongst other key performing indicators.
- Responsible for collecting, reconciliation, monitoring and meeting/maintaining goals for front end cash collections throughout Ambulatory practices.
- Responsible for Compliance oversite program for Ambulatory clinics in accordance with regulatory agencies (OMIG, OIG, DOH, etc).
- Oversee Quality Assurance program that supports and contributes to the key elements of operational practice, including, but not limited to, financial performance indicators , patients access to the system and HEDIS, QARR and PCMI measures as set forth by the payors/Medicaid.
- Represents clinic at public and professional meetings and conferences as requested. Facilitates communication and ensures proper flow of information. Participates in public relations programs.
- Coordinates, as requested, operational committees and physician advisory committees.
- Collects data, prepares reports, analyzes statistics, answers correspondence.
- Facilitates onboarding/integration of any newly acquired and/or implemented practices to Hospital/Ambulatory care.
- Maintains professional affiliations and enhances professional development to keep pace with health care trends.
- Handles special projects assigned by the Vice President of Ambulatory Operations.
- Maintains strict confidentiality.
- Graduate degree in Business or Healthcare Administration.
- Minimum of five-seven years of experience in health administration including three years experience in a clinic environment.