Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Medical Records – InPatient Coder - Hospital Based Coder (Not remote)
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Reviews inpatient/outpatient charts thoroughly to ascertain all diagnoses/procedures.
- Assigns and codes all ICD-9 and ICD-10 diagnoses, as well as applicable CPT procedures.
- Abstracts Discharge Disposition, Consultation, External Cause of Injury Codes, Transfer out Facility Codes, as well as others.
- Performs concurrent ICD-9 and ICD-10 coding and DRG calculation when requested.
- Utilizes computerized coding/abstracting equipment.
- Ensures data quality and optimum reimbursement allowable under the federal and state payment systems.
- Acts a resource person to hospital staff in coding and may provide education regarding coding changes/issues.
- Responsible for maintaining regulatory requirements for licensure.
- Maintains hospital and departmental requirements, policies, and standards on confidentiality
- Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the hospital as well as the vision of the department.
- Maintains a good working relationship within the department and other departments.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Thorough knowledge of Medical Terminology, ICD-9-CM and ICD-10 coding, as well as DRG logic and CRT coding. Thorough knowledge of current coding guidelines.
- Medical Records experience or related background
- CCA, CPC, CCS Certification
Strength Through Diversity
The Mount Sinai Health System believes that diversity is a driver for excellence. We share a common devotion to delivering exceptional patient care. Yet we’re as diverse as the city we call home- culturally, ethically, in outlook and lifestyle. When you join us, you become a part of Mount Sinai’s unrivaled record of achievement, education and advancement as we revolutionize medicine together.
We work hard to acquire and retain the best people, and to create a welcoming, nurturing work environment where you can develop professionally. We share the belief that all employees, regardless of job title or expertise, can make an impact on quality patient care.
Explore more about this opportunity and how you can help us write a new chapter in our story!
Who We Are
Over 38,000 employees strong, the mission of the Mount Sinai Health System is to provide compassionate patient care with seamless coordination and to advance medicine through unrivaled education, research, and outreach in the many diverse communities we serve.
Formed in September 2013, The Mount Sinai Health System combines the excellence of the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai with seven premier hospital campuses, including Mount Sinai Beth Israel, Mount Sinai Beth Israel Brooklyn, The Mount Sinai Hospital, Mount Sinai Queens, Mount Sinai West (formerly Mount Sinai Roosevelt), Mount Sinai St. Luke’s, and New York Eye and Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
The Mount Sinai Health System is an equal opportunity employer. We comply with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate, exclude, or treat people differently on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.