Mount Sinai Careers
Coder Level I
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Medical Records – InPatient Coder - Hospital Based Coder (Not remote)
- Reviews inpatient/outpatient charts thoroughly to ascertain all diagnoses/procedures.
- Assigns and codes all ICD-9 and ICD-10 diagnoses, as well as applicable CPT procedures.
- Abstracts Discharge Disposition, Consultation, External Cause of Injury Codes, Transfer out Facility Codes, as well as others.
- Performs concurrent ICD-9 and ICD-10 coding and DRG calculation when requested.
- Utilizes computerized coding/abstracting equipment.
- Ensures data quality and optimum reimbursement allowable under the federal and state payment systems.
- Acts a resource person to hospital staff in coding and may provide education regarding coding changes/issues.
- Responsible for maintaining regulatory requirements for licensure.
- Maintains hospital and departmental requirements, policies, and standards on confidentiality
- Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the hospital as well as the vision of the department.
- Maintains a good working relationship within the department and other departments.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Thorough knowledge of Medical Terminology, ICD-9-CM and ICD-10 coding, as well as DRG logic and CRT coding. Thorough knowledge of current coding guidelines.
- Medical Records experience or related background
- CCA, CPC, CCS Certification