Mount Sinai Careers
Supervisor Medical Records (RHIA/RHIT preferred) - Full-time Evenings - Mount Sinai West (Columbus Circle Area)
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
MEDICAL RECORDS - Req #76479
Job Title: Supervisor Medical Records - Evenings
Responsible for oversight of day to day Medical Records activities, including medical record number validation/merges, record retrieval, release of information, record completion, physician assistance, death certificates, chart assembly and transcription activities. Works with physicians, Information Technology and other department staff to ensure accurate and timely delivery of dictated reports.
- Plans, organizes and oversees the work of Medical Records staff to ensure the accurate completion of patient charts. Assigns and schedules work based on assessment of work volume and deadlines.
- Coordinates all activities on chart availability for outpatient/clinic visits or walk-in requests.
- Monitors the production level of the dictation service by conducting daily checks of all applications.
- Troubleshoots problems with the dictation service and related systems; works with physicians to edit reports and correct identified errors to maintain a high degree of data integrity.
- Supervises purging of inactive records for microfilming and scanning.
- Supervises all filing activities to maintain an organized file room. Oversees the filing of all miscellaneous documents from the Emergency Department records which are not incorporated in the online IBEX record. Ensures staff file loose sheets and maintain control of unfiled backlog.
- Completes Death Certificates to ensure Department of Health guidelines are met.
- Completes monthly audits to track delinquency rate, productivity and document production levels.
- Performs weekly payroll entry and validation. Monitors attendance and punctuality for all assigned staff.
- Provides orientation and training to all employees, Counsels and disciplines staff as required.
- Participates and assists in the development and implementation of departmental quality improvement activities.
- Maintains a collaborative relationship with other Mount Sinai Medical Center support functions and/or departments to provide effective and efficient medical records services.
- Serves as the liaison with Information Technology regarding interruptions in electronic services and other problems.
- Maintains confidentiality of all patient records and medical information under HIPAA and institutional guidelines.
- Performs other related duties.
- Associate’s Degree in Health Information Technology or equivalent; BA/BS preferred
- 2-3 years Medical Records supervisory experience preferred; RHIT preferred
- Certified as a Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Technician (RHIT) – American Health Information Management Association - Preferred