Mount Sinai Careers
Patient Care Associate (Mount Sinai West) - NURSING FLOAT POOL - F/T Night Shift
Strength Through Diversity
As an integral part of the clinical care team, the Patient Care Associate is responsible for patient care and support activities promoting patient focused care within the Specialty Service. The PCA supports the registered nurse in patient care activities, such as: assisting patient with activities of daily living., collecting specimens and performing procedures; maintaining a safe, clean environment; and other duties as needed.
- Performs clinical procedures, such as specimen collection, venipuncture, EKG, application of compression devices, post-mortem care, and maintenance of skin integrity. Sets up for selected
- Perform and records patient's vital signs, such as blood pressure, pluse, temperature and respiration. Documents intake and output and other data as required.
- Assists patient with activities of daily living, such as feeding, bathing and/or toileting. Orients patients to clinical environment. Assists patient with ambulation and all levels of mobilization.
- Performs one-to-one observation or close observation status of patients, e.g. safety, elopement risk or suicide prevention.
- Performs scheduled rounding on patients with emphasis on caring for toileting needs, comfort, and positioning and pain awareness. Documents on rounding log. Notifies RN if rounding has not been completed.
- High School Diploma (graduate or equivalent) required.
- Certificate of completion of a medical assistant/patient care assistant with skills in venipuncture and EKG required.
- BLS Certification from American Heart Association required
- 3 to 9 months of healthcare experience preferred
- Ability to set priorities, problem solve, use proper judgement in difficult situation and be flexible.
- Physical stamina and manual dexterity to perform a variety of tasks and skills in the area of assignment.