Mount Sinai Careers
Director - Admitting and Throughput (Mount Sinai West - ADMITTING F/T Day
Strength Through Diversity
Provide leadership and strategic direction for capacity management, throughput initiatives, and outcomes for all inpatient bed assignments for admissions (including direct admissions, emergency department, and post anesthesia care) and internal transfers by placing the patient in the right level of care, on the right floor, at the right time, while collaborating with the transfer service to assure Admitting to the Mount Sinai West Hospital. In addition, utilizes resources such as appropriate skilled staff to critical areas for human capital optimization. The Director retains responsibility and accountability over strategic direction for the development of hospital throughput and emergency overcrowding policies and procedures. The Director promotes patient centered innovation and integrates evidence-based practice into clinical, operational and leadership processes for efficiencies with the patient in mind. Clinical, human resource and financial data is integrated to support decision making.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides oversight of all aspects of the Admitting Department and Hospitality Services functions and personnel in keeping with the system and hospital mission, goals, and policies and procedures.
- Provides the strategic leadership and vision for Admitting functions and patient throughput, creating synergy between the facility access points, the pre-admission, surgical services and clinical departments.
- Responsible for the daily operations of all admitting and bed management functions and serves as the liaison between the access points and the facility. Manages change while minimizing interruption at an operational and service level.
- Provides oversight and supervision to ensure patient throughput goals are met by working with interdisciplinary teams and entities to coordinate patient flow into and through the system.
- Integrates the department’s services with the hospital’s primary functions, develops/implements policies and procedures that guide or support service, assesses and improves department performance, and ensures orientation and continuing education of departmental staff.
- Provides procedural and managerial guidance and control for the Admitting Department, assuring accurate and complete collection of patient demographic information, financial information and pre-payments.
- Maintains appropriate knowledge of rules, regulations and laws affecting Admitting and revenue cycle. Stays current and proactive in new regulations to ensure highest level of compliance in the department.
- Responsible for all Admitting Department functions (e.g. registration, service pre-payment, etc.) to ensure daily operations are maintained according to standard.
- Develops departmental budgets. Reviews departmental performance against budget, identifying unfavorable variances and initiating corrective action to remain within budget objectives.
- Creates a reporting mechanism on admitting errors/denials separated by individual representatives and a process improvement plan for low performers.
- Shares Press Ganey results to ensure Admitting Patient Business Representatives are pleasant to patients while providing necessary information and/or training to keep patient satisfaction at a high level
- Responsible for daily balancing of census to ensure accuracy.
- Develops and provides monthly metrics to the Senior Leadership regarding departmental operation.
- Establishes Departmental orientation for all areas bed management and admitting. Promotes staff development and education.
- Responds to concerns of patients, families, physicians and staff. Acts as a liaison between Admitting services, Patient Relations and other Hospital departments.
- Facilitates access for referring hospitals and physicians.
- Responsible for the timely and accurate filing of all death certificates, burial permits, autopsy requests and funeral home/medical examiner releases in accordance will NYCDOH regulations.
- Responsible for the Hospitality staff and services assigned to the designated private units, including concierge services, private food services, catering, private room payment, and metric reporting.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field, BSN preferred. Master’s degree preferred.
Minimum Related Experience
- Three years of progressive leadership. Must have knowledge of clinical practices, strategic planning, administrative and financial principals. Excellent interpersonal, communication, leadership and innovations skills are essential.
Strength Through Diversity