Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Department of Social Work (MSBI) - Req Number: 77109
Job Title: Social Worker
- Demonstrates knowledge of the disease entity and common medical interventions in the service area assigned
- Assesses and evaluates patients/families' social, psychosocial and environmental situations to determine patient needs
- Formulates treatment plans and goals to meet patient need
- Conducts individual and/or group treatment sessions for patients and families addressing psychosocial issues; assisting patients and families in developing coping strategies and adjustment to illness
- Directs patients/families to appropriate community agencies and resources as patient need dictates
- Monitors, coordinates, case manages activities for high risk psychosocial patients to ensure implementation of multiple services
- Develops and implements strategies for successful collaboration between providers and patient/family systems
- Identifies and assists team in managing obstacles to treatment and/or discharge plans
- Provides patient/family education and encourages participation in care plan
- Provides education related to impact of psychosocial issues on patients/families to multidisciplinary providers
- Identifies, evaluates and intervenes with suspected and/or confirmed victims of abuse (i.e. child abuse/neglect; elder abuse/neglect; rape/sexual assault; domestic violence) ensuring patient safety. Monitors and interfaces with regulatory agencies to ensure safe and appropriate follow-up. Seeks consultation from appropriate administrator of identified area (i.e. Child Protection Coordinator; Victim Services Coordinator)
- Identifies and evaluates need for guardianship for patients in order to discharge or maintain themselves safely in the community
- Facilitates interdisciplinary case conferences/discharge rounds focusing team on treatment/discharge planning activities
- Identifies and recommends the need for agreements with community agencies to improve continuity of care
- Reviews medical record to assess progress toward goals
- Masters in Social Work from an accredited school of social work. Knowledge of social work services, theories, techniques, community resources and agencies.
- Related experience in the social service and/or health care field, preferably one year in a medical setting, which can include related field placement. Excellent communication/interpersonal and organizational skills, analytical abilities and basic computer skills required.
- Experience Required – prior experience working with substance use population.