Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
MEDICAL RECORDS - Req #77425
Job Title: Senior Medical Records Clerk - Part-time Weekends/Holidays
To perform complex clerical duties requiring independent judgment relating to the storage, retrieval and maintenance of medical records. Performs clerical work requiring application of various work methods and procedures and familiarity with Medical Record Department functions, policies, and practices. Is responsible for providing service to the patients/customers of the Hospital Center. Is cognizant of the philosophy, standards, objectives and policies of the Medical Record Department and the Hospital Center.
- Purges medical record documents and reports, conducting research when necessary.
- Scans documents and reports into the Epic EMR, OnBase Document Imaging/Records
- Management system and performing scanning functions on the nursing units
- Indexes records and information through manual or automatic indexing; assigns document types and reviews hard copy documents that have been captured during scanning.
- Responds to inquiries regarding deficiencies, documentation requirements and physician assignment.
- Responds to requests for information from third party requesters (physicians,insurers, attorneys, courts of law, etc.) including subpoenas.
- Performs photocopying of complete medical records and medical record abstracts for requesters.
- Tracks dictation sent to and received from transcription service.
- Verifies and validates transcription services reports.
- Receives, sorts and routes incoming mail, as required.
- Provides front desk and telephone coverage and may act as receptionist or as backup for another member of the clerical staff.
- Manually and electronically prepares and mails incomplete and delinquent record notification letters to physicians.
- Provides daily productivity and statistical information to supervisor/manager.
- Performs quality control verification for departmental processes and systems.
- Maintains established hospital/departmental/unit policies, procedures, objectives, quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control.
- Assists in the care and maintenance of department equipment, including reporting systems problems to Help Desk and/or appropriate departmental staff.
- Attends meetings as required, including in-service education meetings.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care, based on physical, psychosocial, education, safety, and related criteria, appropriate to the age of the patients served in assigned area.
- High School graduate or equivalent (Associate's Degree preferred)
- Two to three years of prior medical record department experience.
- Working knowledge of business English, spelling, arithmetic, office practices and procedures, and or departmental rules and regulations; ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and to request clarification when needed; ability to maintain established records and files; ability to meet the pubic well and to deal effectively with their questions or problems seeking assistance; ability to communication effectively, orally and in writing; may be required to type at a rate of at least 35wpm and/or operate a computer system.
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the preferred knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Note position is weekends/holidays - will work all legal holidays.
- Registered Health Information Technology Certification preferred
- Bending, lifting, reaching, stepping
- Maybe expected to lift heavy leads (i.e. medical records) in excess of 20 lbs.