Mount Sinai Careers
Director Of Risk Management And Patient Safety
Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
Director of Risk Management & Patient Safety – Mount Sinai West
The Director for the Risk Management and Patient Safety is responsible for overseeing the day to day operations of the department. This includes investigation of Serious Adverse Events, including potentially reportable incidents to the New York State Department of Health. The Director of Risk Management works closely with the Department of Quality Initiatives with emphasis on patient safety. The Director of Risk Management provides documentation and facilitates resolution of reported incidents.
Oversight includes proactive and reactive patient safety initiatives; participation in Root Cause Analysis and Failure Mode Effect Analysis, interfacing with defense and in-house counsel, collecting, managing, and analyzing risk management data, conducting risk management and regulatory educational programs, and compliance with risk management-related standards of regulatory agencies.
Supervision and overall program direction of risk management staff. Formulation, review, and implementation of policies and procedures geared toward risk identification, assessment, reduction, and remediation.
- Provides leadership and collaborates with Quality for Sentinel/Clinical Event process: identification and prioritization of cases with appropriate leadership and Root Cause Analysis.
- Acts as risk management liaison across the organization.
- Provide critical oversight of all organizational regulatory obligations requiring broad knowledge of regulations, licensure, certification, and other requirements impacting institutional risk and safety performance;
- Support and collaborates with Quality Initiatives related to NYPORTS Reportable events.
- Provide proactive and reactive patient safety initiatives including participation in root cause analysis, failure mode effect analysis and Sentinel Event Alerts. This information will be used to develop a process and plan for change that can be constantly monitored and evaluated for its effectiveness.
- Reviews patient/family/physician complaints for liability, risk and resolution.
- Provides leadership to staff in addition to training and education of new staff.
- Collaborates with the professional liability carrier and oversees claims management with the carrier(s).
- Work collaboratively with patient service department personnel to address patient concerns;
- Oversight of the monitoring of patient-related occurrences; tracking and trending; utilization of information to develop risk reduction strategies
- Act as a resource and expert to department and organization members regarding risk management, insurance, legal and regulatory matters;
- Participate on key committees to offer direction regarding risk management activities;
- Take an active role in the development of policies and procedures;
- Assume responsibility for keeping abreast of incident trends, patterns and the proper management of adverse events by department coordinators and others;
- Spearhead projects as directed by superiors; participates in system-wide safety initiatives under direction of system leadership
- Develops and delivers risk management and regulatory educational programs to all departments in the organization;
- Works with senior leadership in organizational operations and quality efforts, including on-call responsibilities;
- Performs other related duties
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing or other health related fields; Master’s degree preferred in Risk Management/Patient Safety or Nursing/Healthcare related field.
- Minimum 10 to 15 years’ experience as a Director of clinical/healthcare risk management and hospital operations to include experience in a hospital or medical center dealing with regulatory issues.
- Experience with assessing occurrences for NYPORTS, with requisite reporting to the NYSDOH.
- NYS license in nursing or other health-related specialty preferred
- CPHRM a plus.