Strength Through Diversity
Ground breaking science. Advancing medicine. Healing made personal.
- Creates treatment plans to accurately deliver the Radiation Oncologist’s prescribed dose while sparing critical structures.
- Correlates simulation radiographs with other diagnostic data such as CT scans to determine tumor and target locations and transfer this information from CT to radiographs.
- Assists the Radiation Oncologist in the design of customized shielding to minimize doses delivered to non-target tissues (i.e. normal tissues).
- Calculates “beam-on” times for the high energy linear accelerators in accordance with the treatment plan signed by the physician.
- Collaborates in the setup of the patient with the radiation therapists including the use of treatment aids and immobilization devices.
- Monitors each patient’s treatment and records to assure the quality of their radiation treatments.
- Reviews and compare the simulation radiographs with the treatment portal radiographs, when needed.
- Participates in weekly Radiation Oncology chart rounds to review new patients’ treatments and to assist in the peer review of the Radiation Oncologists’ treatment planning.
- Teaches dosimetry, simulations and treatment planning to Radiation Oncology Residents during their rotation through Physics.
- Provides information for protocol patients
- Performs QA for linear accelerators, high dose rate remote afterloader, simulator, and other treatment equipment.
- Assists in research, both clinical and experimental.
- Performs QA for the treatment planning system.
- Performs planning and treatments for stereotactic, HDR, prostate implants and TBI.
- Supervises less experienced dosimetrists.
- Performs other duties as required.
- BS’s degree or RTT (Radiation Therapy Technologist)
- 1-2 years experience in treatment planning and machine QA is required.